• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome (S.N.D.S.) Thread[Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re: 2.4 400 FSB on verge of dying

kamilkluczewski said:
My 2.4 is O/Cd at 2.78, 116FSB :( with 1.70 Vcore. But on the occasional time i get BSOD :mad: . Cant even run 3dMark cause it kicks me out, what you guys suggest i get 2.4b or 1.8A I'm having a hard time choosing.

Thanx

Kam

if you can't even run 3dmark then you are way too unstable. I recommend you drop down to 110fsb of 105. Also, if your going to buy a new chip make sure you get the b. From experience the b chips require much less voltage. I can get my 2.53 to cold boot at 3.05 with stock voltage. I recommend if you buy a new chip go 2.4b. But the best thing is just drop your volts to 1.6 or so and run 105-110 fsb stable.

Xbit labs has also posted a news story on this situation.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1039224602

There is no link to this thread in the story but if you click the Useful link at the bottom "Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome Discussion at X-bit Labs Discussion Board." You'll see their thread has a link straight here in the first post.

Xbit labs is a great site for news if you've never swung by there before :beer:

Re: no way

mooseboy84 said:
i found this this link that claims to end this problem.

wow, this may be the solution that works :eek:)
Well I'll do that the day amd will get to decent speed again !!! (like the thunderbird vs PIII days or xp vs first PIV)
For the time being you re just fooling yourself ... you got amd and think it's better ...I got both and KNOW! PIV is ... Cheers:D

Here's another one for the thread.

2.53 SL685. B0 stepping

It maxed out at around 3.2 with 1.7v vcore. I didn't want to fry the thing so I backed it down to 3.0 and ran @ 1.675v vcore.
The thing ran great for about 3 weeks then I started getting blue screens. I backed it down to 2.8 and 1.6v core and it was fine for about a week. Finally I gave up on it and took it out. Put the 1.6a back in.

About a month and a half goes by.

I plug it back in and I can run it @ 3.0. This time it ran for 3 days then blue screens. It really deteriorated fast this time. Now its at default and it still freaks out and crashes.

I also checked it in my son's system with the same results. crashes.

I probably won't go over default voltage with the next one I get.

I ran it at default for a while and I tried overclocking again. I of course kept the vcore low like last time. It's weird. It now works at around the same speed and is fairly stable. I just recently started getting GPFs in Unreal 2k3. Drop it down again and they stop.

I give up with this one. I just bought a 2.4b from newegg. At least if I can no longer overclock I will still be at 533 fsb. I am still going to overclock though but won't be so disappointed if I have to go back to 2.4. I am crossing my fingers for a C1 but from what I just read in the reviews I would be lucky to get one newer than 5 months ago.

I ran a P3 700 overclock for over two years with no problems. This is much more of a pain. :bang head :bang head

tholden1 said:
I had a 1.8a at 2484 using 1.55 BIOS vcore, 1.62 actual. It was new retail and had a pack date of September, 2002.

It was solid and stable for three weeks on a beefed-up case cooling but regular retail CPU cooling. I then started getting blue-screens on windows boot-up.

I then dropped it down to 2.22mhz (123 fsb) at default 1.5 vcore and the blue-screens stopped (couldn't even go to 125 fsb any more).

I don't want to try the vcore any higher and after what I just experienced I am going to leave it at 2.22.

This sucks!
:mad:

Maybe I'll just return this one and spring the extra $50 to get it back up to 2.4 and not overclock.
:( :(

uh. i got a 1.8A B0 and it wuz very stable @ 2.4GHz. but all of a sudden, everything drastically slows down. takes a long time to even load into windows. wc3 takes a long time to load (the loading screen when u start a game) and ut2k3 takes 4eva to start a game too (that loading screen) even when i lower it back down it still messes up.

elva lover said:
uh. i got a 1.8A B0 and it wuz very stable @ 2.4GHz. but all of a sudden, everything drastically slows down. takes a long time to even load into windows. wc3 takes a long time to load (the loading screen when u start a game) and ut2k3 takes 4eva to start a game too (that loading screen) even when i lower it back down it still messes up.

did you increase the voltage or not?
i have the same oc but with stock voltage

Whats this I have been hearing about SNDS frys your motherboard and not your CPU? You can take the CPU that has suffered the SNDS, stick it in another motherboard and it will run fine???

FACTION95Si said:
Whats this I have been hearing about SNDS frys your motherboard and not your CPU? You can take the CPU that has suffered the SNDS, stick it in another motherboard and it will run fine???

There have been reports of that. But it not always is the case. If your chip dies, you will just have to test it somewhere and see whether it is the chip, the mobo, or both that are fried...

hi
i have i P4 1,8@2,4 , GF 4 4400TI ( 325@670) ,Win XP pro, Seagate 40 7200, MB Gigabyte 8ITXE.
My PC go 100% all time OC . ( 4 month) . Defalt voltage.

Back