• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermosyphons and similar craziness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It looks very interesting. I'm looking forward step-by-step guide with pics to making thermosyphons.
I'd be happy to use them on CPU ang GPU and everything that gets hot. It looks like the mre temperature difference, the higher performance it gets, so it should be simply perfect for silent cooling.

John I think you're right-- like with thermalright they jumped on heatpipes and are kinda the standard even though many others have adopted the same tech. I wish Joe and his partners luck-- this will definity be a boon to those guys looing for silent with decent overclcoks.

Ven0m said:
It looks very interesting. I'm looking forward step-by-step guide with pics to making thermosyphons.

I don't think we'll see thermosyphons being much of a DIY item...

The problem is the average person doesn't have the capability to set the system pressure. (Create the vacuum or pressurized system with other potential fluids.) Getting that capability would be an entire DIY adventure all by itself completely seperate from making the components and assembling them.

It would probably be cheaper to DIY a full blown water cooled system than a thermosyphon in most cases.

However, they are cheaper to mass produce than a full blown water cooled system.

If we find some good fluid that boils at just a tad over room temperature, then DIY would be a definite possibility. But, all I can see are stuff that is somehow dangerous like Pentane (explosive), Methylene Chloride (toxic), Diethyl Ether (yes, ether!). We're probably stuck with pressure adjusting something safe like water.

JaY_III said:
Hydro electic for me.
Nothing but hydro
Burning feul for power, gross
:D
to make that plastic pump, they had to burn off oil to make the plastic.
to make that tubing, they had to burn off oil to make it
to make you MB..........

catch my point?

Overlag said:
to make that plastic pump, they had to burn off oil to make the plastic.
to make that tubing, they had to burn off oil to make it
to make you MB..........

catch my point?

OK i know.
I was trying t be funny if you will
We flood entire valleys to get power.
It does harm the enviroment.
We just dont get smog as a result of our power, and once the initial damage is done it is very clean

Science lab supply houses may carry enough to do the job, but i cant be sure.
Oh, another thing....... Silent?
In my experiments, there has never been silence, especially from the reboiler unit strapped to your CPU.
Which brings on another point: Will the CPU be able to handle these vibrations created through the process of boiling? CPUs with IHS's may survive longer, but anything in the 32 bit athlon group would be subject to vibrations directly on the slug.
Just some more thoughts...

Back