• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats a good stability tester

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPL.Luke

I just overclocked my a64 3000+ to 2130 megahertz and Imjust wondering how to test for stability. If their are any software programs does anybody have a link.

thanks in advance

Prime95 is great. I use it on every computer I build. Also, Folding@Home really gives the cpu a nice stability test as well. Check 'em both out!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
:D

Matt

another vote here for prime95.

scratch the memtest it's a pretty useless program outside of testing for faulty memory.

Idiot question, how the hell do you use prime95? i dont know WTF im doing with it.

From my own expierience and others input (Navig, on the Abit forums) Memtest seems to be a great diagnostic. Depending on which tests fail, should tell you whats limiting you.

Prime95 is a great stressor, but horrible at showing what is really wrong other then showing you that your system overall isn't stable.

Best to use both.

my experiences with Prime95 are that if you get ANY kind of error (doesn't really matter what it says) you either need to change memory timings, fsb, or increase the voltage on memory and/or CPU.
I usually run it for 24 hours to make sure everything is good and stable and that the system won't overheat. Other than that, GOOD LUCK!

Use Folding@home :)
I, and many others, have had Folding show stability problems that Prime and others haven't shown. Plus, you can help to find a cure for cancer at the same time. For some more info, check out the Folding forum here.

Folding@home works really well at finding instability problems. Prime95 is the old workhorse, and that of course works too, but I've found stuff with folding@home that prime95 missed.

anouther thing does anyone know a good temperature moniter other than mbm 5 it won't work on my system for some reason

Cpu stability tester 5 or stress cpu do a google for them. Mem test is great run 2x mem test and cpu stabilty test at the same time. Run stabilty test on hardcore. That will find any faults save for whats in the vid card. Also same with stress cpu that runs my cpu 2-3 deg hotter then prime does!

Very interesting. According to that CPU Burn is the way to go. It owned DC stuff and Prime95.

I like cpuburn as a stability tester. In my experience it is very good at loading the CPU. It is good, however, to test using multiple programs (not necessarily at the same time). When I'm going for absolute stability of the mem and cpu (ignoring graphics), I usually run 24+ hours of memtest86 (running all tests), 48+ hours of cpuburn, and 5 days or so of prime95. It may border on the obsessive, but I like to be that confident in my system, otherwise if I get the slighest software problem I have to unoverclock, recompile, and run the program again just to ake sure that my OC isn't causing problems.

Back