• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Files Corupted (XP), anyway to fix them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidWolf

Somehow, my friends pc windows file got corrupted, maybe cause of a shutdown while windows was loading, but anyway..
I try using winxp cd and using the Restore Console and ran checkdisk Multiple times with all the extra parameters but i still get a "c:\windows\system files corrupted" error while booting up..
Can anyone help? he dosent want to do a clean install.. tia..

Is there not a "repair previous installation of windows" option when you insert the cd and let it run through (without going to the console)?

If you keep tapping f8 during start (like you do to get in safe mode) There is a option to restore setting to a preveously working state..also if you want to restore all files ..Boot from the xp disk dont choose restore..Go through the wizard like your doing a fresh install and when it gets to the formating part it should say it has detected windows xp is already installed and it will ask if you would like to repair..Select that option..Or is this what you already did?

This worked for a friend of mine i dont know if it will work for you or not, at installation windows xp gives you an option to repair previous installation of your windows xp

try it out might fix your problem

I'm using WinXP Pro, and thx for the tip rUfUnKy and baqai, it sounds like a winner :)
gonna try it out.

it'll work.
i did it a few weeks back when i nuked my install with a rather aggressive overclock. :(

nothing would open on my system. none of the icons were right blah blah blah.
after doing the repair install thingy, it was as if i had a freshly install OS. one or two programmes needed reinstalling, but that wasn't too hard to do.

yup, works like a charm, i had to do it today cause there was a problem when installing norton works today the power went out in the middle of it installing, when my computer turned back on, it was a mess, i tried reinstalling, but it kept on giving me errors. so immediately went into safe mode, and went back to yesterday, and worked great./

Just the thread I was looking for

I set up an 8k3ae w/ unlocked 1600+ for a friend a few days ago. But he only had some generic pc2100 ram so OC'ing hasn't been very fun. I think one of the sticks died, because he got NTSKRNL is corrupt. I ran recovery console for fixmbr and fixboot, and that helped a little. The new error was Windows/System32/Config/System is corrupt.

He has 2 HDD's with XP Pro installs on both. The NTSKRNL error affected both until I reomved one stick of ram. But the Config/System error still affects his new XP install, but not the old one. I think that file got permanently corrupted.

I don't really know how to use the recovery console, and I'm used to 2k pro, where it gives automated recovery options. Now I think I can fix it, thanks to this thread.

Safe mode is not an option, because it doesn't get that far in the boot process where I can press F8. So I'll have to boot from cd, make like I'm installing XP, and when it detects the XP installations, I tell it to repair the broken one. :D

you mean xp doesn'y have system file checker?

in 2000 (and 98) it replaces corrupted system files easily.

click on help and type in system file checker and see if its there.it really should be.

in 200 all i have to do is go to command promt and type in sfc /scanonce,reboot and before windows starts it checks all windows protected files and asks for the cd if any corrupt files are found.sfc /scannow checks within windows without rebooting.

i ran 98se for almost a year using sfc without ever reformating.

Back