• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advance Team has Arrived!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

The advance team for Operation Banana, has arrived!

These SETI crunchers helped us out in the recent Chimp Challenge race (which we won!), and Operation Banana is all about giving a tasty treat back in thanks, to our co-racers teams.

Code:
[color="Cyan"]
[color=#333333]░░░[/color] Scout
[color=#333333]░░░[/color] Badbonji
[color=#333333]░░░[/color] Bogie
[color=#333333]░░░[/color] Metlcub
[color=#333333]░░░[/color] Duner
[color=#333333]░░░[/color] dkizzy
[color=#333333]░░░[/color] Bogie
[/color]
Your help meant a lot to the folding team. Thanks again.

I have no GPU's but we'll see what 48 cores can do to start thanking the SETI team.

I have asked the members of the Operation, to fold under their own SETI names, if they prefer to do so. It will be fun to watch the SETI RAC, (even with the loss of Bioevolve's substantial contribution).

More crew from Operation Banana, will be arriving over the next few days, and joining us. Unfortunately, we can't stay long.

Last edited:
Very awesome to have you guys over here. Even without GPUs 48 cores should do some serious RAC damage.

The monsterbox for the next chimp challenge is starting to arrive. Got two of the four becktons ES chips in yesterday, just need to find two more like it and a board then it'll be off to the races. I may be putting it full time to the folding team since most of the quad socket intel boards don't have PCI-Express slots for gpus.

@Rickdstik: Sounds like an amazing system you're building up! I'd love to see what it can crunch or fold, just using those cpu's.

Tanker (my 4P Opteron 6272), hit a rough patch yesterday. About 35 of the work units worked for an hour and 3 seconds, and then quit with the message "computation error". :(

The intel cpu's and the rest of the work units on Tanker, did OK, but that was a big blow to building up RAC, surely.

SETI has my RAC at 1,123, so I'm making progress, although it seems slow. Hopefully, today will have good work units and fair crunching wind at our backs, and we can really get going. :thup:

I've got "Charlie" and "Katelin" to pass, right now. :bump:

The "computation error" problem has expanded considerably. I now have over 100 work units that have been returned for no points. Unfortunately, this is a "known bug", in BOINC, so I'm going to try upgrading my version of BOINC, to a newer version.

Shades of Folding@Home!!

Then there is a problem with Rosetta@Home, which has nicely given Tanker lots of work units to fill in when SETI couldn't supply them -- problem is, Rosetta wants to use up more than 1/2 GB of RAM for it's work units, which means every bit of Tanker's 32GB of RAM, is now being used - with some work units stopped and listed as "waiting for mem....".

That is the first time I've ever seen Tanker's RAM being fully used!

I'll try a recommended version of BOINC for Ubuntu, later tonight. For now, SETI is stopped on Tanker.

Warning for Ubuntu users: SETI doesn't work well with the version of BOINC from the Package Manager/Ubuntu repositiory. I'll update with more info when I get back and get to work on it.

The 11.10 version of Ubuntu works with the BOINC version from the repository, but 10.04 version and 12.04 version, do not work correctly, with their BOINC default installs from Ubuntu.

[EDIT:]
OK, with 11.10 and 12.04 versions of Ubuntu, they have fixed the BOINC program, to handle SETI wu's correctly. The 10.04 version is too old, so that one isn't going to get fixed it looks like. So Tanker will be working with Rosetta only it appears, and the two i7 systems will continue working with SETI.

Last edited:
I set SETI not to use my cpu, but it's doing it anyway on this computer that already had an account. It's not running on the gpus, which is what I intended for it to do.

It will indeed be interesting to see how it ends up. Does F@H see logical cores or just physical ones? 64 threads of folding might be a bit intense.

@ChasR - did you run the lunatics optimizer?

It will indeed be interesting to see how it ends up. Does F@H see logical cores or just physical ones? 64 threads of folding might be a bit intense.

@ChasR - did you run the lunatics optimizer?

No, I tried the Beta 7.0.28. Does Lunatic's optimizer give a big performance boost on the GPU WUs? Right now I'm attempting to configure Rosetta to use the CPU and SETI to use the GPU.

No, I tried the Beta 7.0.28. Does Lunatic's optimizer give a big performance boost on the GPU WUs? Right now I'm attempting to configure Rosetta to use the CPU and SETI to use the GPU.

Yes, the lunatics optimizer does have a signiciant performance improvement on GPU workunits. On the higher end nVidia cards, you can see WUs done in 3-4 minutes. Much smaller footprint on the gpu memory too. Can be set to run two instances on a 1GB card (how my Radeon 5850s are setup)

Rick mentions he runs Radeon 5850's in the post right above yours, so they should be worth trying at least.

Ok, how long does it take for the stats to update?
@Adak - How did you know about the errors?

Edit- I read the FAQ at the Stats site and found my own answer. Let the_cultie know its going to be hard to give an accurate picture of our boost to our Seti bretheren.

Last edited:
Ok, how long does it take for the stats to update?
@Adak - How did you know about the errors?

Edit- I read the FAQ at the Stats site and found my own answer. Let the_cultie know its going to be hard to give an accurate picture of our boost to our Seti bretheren.

After you return a work unit, you are not given final points, right away. The work unit data you returned has to be verified first - which means it can vary, depending on whether you are the first person to crunch it, or whether YOU are the verifying cruncher. If you're the first cruncher, you may have to wait a week before it gets verified and final points awarded. If you are the second cruncher, then the verification and award of final points can be done in a matter of minutes.

Some projects award you *tentative* points for a work unit, but those points may be removed from your total, if the data is found to be defective.

I knew that Tanker was throwing "computation errors", because I plugged in the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and looked at the "tasks" tab in BOINC Manager (advanced view). The simple view is useless to me. Every work unit's details are listed there.

If you click on SETI in the project tab, you can then click on "Results" and see every work unit that you've still got in the queue, waiting to be put into the final master list. Once that happens, it's removed from the list of your results. The result of the validation for each work unit is also given there.

Your RAC (recent average credit), will take about 2 weeks to reach it's zenith, because of the these procedures.

If you click on SETI in the project tab, and then click on "Team", you'll see the most up to date stats for our team. The stats are rather basic, but they are the most accurate. If you want EOC type stats with graphs and etc., go to BOINCStats, and click on SETI@Home from the list on the left hand side (the projects list). Find our team (easy, since we're near the top), and click on the little people icon on the far right hand side of our team, and you'll see our team personnel listed. Click on your name, and on the blue graph on the right hand side, and you'll be taken to the first of 4 pages of stats just for your work in SETI, on this team.

It will be difficult to tell how much we've helped our SETI team, because we lost a lot of crunching power when Bioevolve had to sell most of his rigs. Still, it should be a net gain once we get up and crunching full power (minus Tanker, unfortunately).

We have a couple of teams right below us that are stronger, however. We can delay their overtake, but we can't prevent it. We have a weak team right in front of us, but it will take far too long to catch it, before we have to leave our Thank You to our SETI team.

All our Operation Banana team should be clicking on the "no more tasks" button, to stop getting more work units from SETI, if you have enough work units already. I have received a LOT of work units, and have had to do this, already.

Post is too long, but lots of info.

im not sure with this is it worth it for me to run this on my two 6870's as well as the i7 or will they cost more than they produce like with FAH?

Absolutely run those 6870s. My i7 with two 5850's (make sure crossfire is turned off), with proper optimization is at 25k RAC and still climbing.

Back