• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Amd Duron Spitfire OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Hey everyone!

I just dug up my old Duron Spitfire, and via BIOS FSB settings, I can OC this baby to 987MHz...

Trouble is, I have done the pencil mod (connect ALL L1 bridges) but I can't change the multiplier via FID jumpers on my mobo.

Here's some useful specs ;)

Mobo: Asrock 7S41GX
Cpu: Duron "Spitfire" @ 750Mhz
Ati All in wonder 9200 AGPx4
Kingston PC3200 (400MHz) DDR

So how can I change the multiplier with software (Windows) or with the FID jumpers? I really wanna break 1GHz with it... After all, it was my first CPU!

Thanks everyone,
Silver_Pharaoh

Anyone?

I forgot to mention that my Duron can run at 1.7 volts (max I can give it through BIOS)

Should these FID jumpers work? It won't boot if I have them (FID jumpers) set to anything other than 7x multiplier or 7.5x multiplier... Which is weird because I did the L1 pencil mod twice.

I found a guide on modding the bridges to get whatever frequency I want, but I don't want to end up cutting the wrong bridges.

Silver_Pharaoh

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure 1.7v will get you there. It would be close.

I'd say keep pushing Bus, hammer the Ram with some voltage and you should get a gig from it.

The "pencil" mod works if you use a conductive pen. A regular #2 pencil from school won't carry enough current to make the bridge work properly.

You might find more mhz by dropping the multi under 7, but that all depends on how the board likes it. Some chips like different dividers, so you have some playing around to do.

The Kingston Ram should handle anything you throw at it. No looser than Cas 2.5.

Hey ShrimpBrime,

Thanks for helping me out!

For some reason, I used to be able to get 131 MHz bus with it, but now I seem to get only around 128MHz being stable enough for Windows...

Prime95 says otherwise as it fails as soon as I start the test, but stability isn't my top priority for this old rig :p

Anyway, BIOS has no option for RAM volts, just increasing RAM speed and CAS (CAS is auto, RAM speed is 400MHz DDR so only 200 really)

I erased my L1 bridge mod for the 20th time :bang head but this time, I can set any multiplier using the onboard FID jumpers. though the multiplier is still locked at 7.5.
Before (when I had the L1 pencil mod on) any other multiplier other than 7 or 7.5 would make the pc not even post (no BIOS access)

So it seems like the L1 mod DID do something, just not what I thought...

I'll keep trying pushing the bus with lower RAM speeds (I'll lookup what CAS means) and I may adjust the CAS too.

Any idea's? I think if I could just get 9x multiplier then I could push 1GHz only because my old spitfire cant do 133FSB :(

Sorry for the long post, better more info than not enough!

Silver_Pharaoh

Alright, I was able to set the CAS to 2.5 and RAM speed to 133MHz, and this let me acheive 131MHz FSB speed.

She won't post at anything over 131 FSB, nor can I find anyway to set the multiplier yet... I might try the pencil trick again, but for now, 987MHz is all I can get :(

Sooo close to 1 GHz!

Any ideas on how to set the multiplier is much appreciated.

Silver_Pharaoh

Closing all L1 just enables you to control the FID. The only way to actually change it is by hard mods.

http://fab51.com/workshop/via/duron-e.html

This should educate you a little.

Your K7S41GX board does have a bios option for voltage, although it's just listed as like low, med, high. Put it all the way up. The increments are small.
There is no PCI/AGP lock on that board so without a mod you'll be limited to around 180 FSB or so before you incur data corruption.
That Spitfire will take over 2.0v core voltage BTW.

If you don't think I know what I'm talking about, here's your same board, modded by me, running a Sempron 2200+ at over 2.4GHz. 210 FSB x 11.5 multiplier.

http://hwbot.org/submission/807817_mr.scott_cpu_frequency_sempron_2200_(athlon_xp)_2415_mhz

Here's a modded bios for that board also. This should help you kill it a little quicker. lol

Attachments

• GX140C.zip
    408 KB · Views: 28
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you Mr.Scott!

To tell you guys the truth, I HAD a Sempron 2200+, but I killed it by "breaking" all of the L6 bridges, by doing this I could have unlocked all of it's multipliers, but I mucked up and now it's just a hunk of silicon :(

As for the webpage of info, it is a little hard to digest right now, but I have read a bit about such mods while I was looking for a guide on unlocking Duron's.

I have the original BIOS, so I'll flash the new one tonight and see what happens!

Thanks to everyone,
Silver_Pharaoh

*Edit*
Sorry forgot to ask... How does one flash the image to the bios? By using the "official" Bios flasher included with the BIOS updates from Asrock?

Last edited:
Let us know how it goes!! Really interested myslef. Been a long time since I've played with 478.

Good Luck!

BTW, Mr. Scotty has all the stuffs you need. You can count on it :thup:

Sweet, I found a webpage with the BIOS Mr.Scott uploaded, they have a flash program so I'll try it now!

Silver_Pharaoh

Okay!

Bios reflashed with modded bios!!!

:thup:

I now can over/underclock the onboard VGA, and I have a ton of new options that seem to relate to RAM settings.

Btw, It turns out that I have the RAM VCCM volts set at 2.73, the highest I can give it...

I'll experiment some more now, but I gotta go to bed soon.

Silver_Pharaoh

Okay one more update tonight for you guys:

With the new modded BIOS, I can get 132MHz FSB! So it runs at 995MHz!

But it still won't post with an FSB any higher..
I have a program called cpufsb, with it (yes I know software ocing is not great)
I can push my Duron to 134Mhz which was 1012 MHz!! :thup:

I'm wondering what you guys think.. Stick with cpufsb and have it oc more when windows boots...or try and help me unlock that damm multiplier.

(Mr.Scott, still a bit confuzzled on that page you linked... If I'm reading it right, the only way for me to change the multilpier is by hard modding my mobo?)

Thanks again guys! It helps to have people who actually know what they are doing!

Silver_Pharaoh

there should be a setting for the ram speed, set it one down from default setting and then try pushing FSB higher.

FSB is your ram speed at the same time (obviously), if you manually set it lower (i.e. 100 instead of 133) then it gives you more headroom to overclock some more. some of the socket a's had this and some didn't.

another thing too is it might be a limit of the multiplier and FSB as a combination, you might not be able to raise the multiplier but you should be able to lower it and then, again, raise the FSB.

my first major OC was a 800Mhz Duron like yours, made past 1 ghz but it was pretty high strung, it was hearty back then and could take it but its over 10 years old now....

I remember running close to 2 volts but I had it under an all copper zalman flower cooler with MANY fans pointed at it

Hey Niku-Sama!

Yes, I did notice this. When I had the RAM set to [Auto] speed, it was unstable.
I usually have it set to 133MHz but I have not tried lower.

I also have the ability now to control the onboard vga clock speed, I'll set them both to 100 MHz and try more FSB..

As for lowering the multilpier, I can't. No matter what I do, it's locked at 7.5.

The pc refused to post when I had the L1 pencil mod on and any other multilpier.

If you have some other way to lower the multi, let me know!

Silver_Pharaoh

Ps: Should I modify the RAM timings? It seems that the new BIOs lets me modify RAS TAS etc.

This isn't 478, it's 462 dude. :D

Lol :D

It's all old compared to today's stuff!

Anyway, the best I can seem to get is 133 FSB using cpufsb in windows, anything else and it either hangs or bsod's on me.

So if it hangs or bsod's, does this mean that the cpu needs more than 1.79 volts? 'Cause that's the most the Bios will give it without hard modding the mobo.

Thanks again,
Silver_Pharaoh

Lol :D

It's all old compared to today's stuff!

Anyway, the best I can seem to get is 133 FSB using cpufsb in windows, anything else and it either hangs or bsod's on me.

So if it hangs or bsod's, does this mean that the cpu needs more than 1.79 volts? 'Cause that's the most the Bios will give it without hard modding the mobo.

Thanks again,
Silver_Pharaoh

Difficult to say since voltage requirements vary from one CPU to another (even in the same model).

It could be a voltage deficiency, or it might be that the board itself is maxed out on what it can do with that particular processor. Or it could be that something else needs more voltage, like a chipset perhaps.

Just read here How Mr.Scott (who I'm reading is extremely knowledgeable) got over 2 volts vcore!

Bridge mod my duron to run at 1.85 volts then use the bios to give it even more voltage!

I might try this, but I'd like someone else to weigh in... I'd rather not damage my old Duron... I already killed a Sempron by bridge modding :(

Silver_Pharaoh

I'd recommend you look into a different board personally. Pin mods are a little too easy to mess up on, leaving you with a dead CPU if it goes wrong.

An Abit NF7-S for instance. It has voltage options going over 2V for CPU vCore (maxed out at 2.3V if my memory serves me, and I believe up to 2.9V for vDIMM. Also, PCI and AGP are locked at 33MHz and 66MHz, respectively. And they support DDR400 memory speeds (though you may have to fiddle with CPU multiplier and FSB settings to get them to run at DDR400). And no jumpers to fiddle with!

The NF7-S is wicked easy to overclock on, my first try with one (and my first time ever overclocking socket 462/A) I took an Athlon XP 2600+ to 2.5GHz.

I also got it to 2.6GHz, but couldn't get it stable even with 2.1V.

I really genuinely like that board. I felt at home using it really (which is saying a lot given I'm used to overclocking on DFI SLI-DR and SLI-DR Expert boards), and with the layout and features it was the closest thing I could get to overclocking on a DFI board, without actually having a DFI board for socket A.

Last edited:
TechTweaker: Very nice OC! :clap::clap::clap:

Almost 500 MHz oc!

As for the board... Thank-you for recommending one for me, but this is not my main pc of course, this is just an OC attempt for fun!

My real specs (for those curious) are:

Intel i-5 2300 2.8GHz (3.1Ghz Turbo)
6 Gb DDR3 Samsung / Generic mix
Msi GTX550 OC Edition @ Stock
2 Western Digital "Green" Sata 3 in RAID0
Brand new Cooler Master i600 PSU
And sadly, H68 based chipset :( No OC for me at all :(:(

Anyway, I'm running prime95 right now. I OC'd the FSB to 142 MHz, which I had go give the cpu an extra 3% volts for it to boot Windows.
Vcore now is 1.984 Volts

I will attempt more OC later today of course!

*Edit* Forgot to ask, I have 2 pieces of 1GB DDR3 (333MHz) RAM, can I use that instead? Will it OC as well as my Kingston?

Silver_Pharaoh

TechTweaker: Very nice OC! :clap::clap::clap:

Almost 500 MHz oc!

As for the board... Thank-you for recommending one for me, but this is not my main pc of course, this is just an OC attempt for fun!

My real specs (for those curious) are:

Intel i-5 2300 2.8GHz (3.1Ghz Turbo)
6 Gb DDR3 Samsung / Generic mix
Msi GTX550 OC Edition @ Stock
2 Western Digital "Green" Sata 3 in RAID0
Brand new Cooler Master i600 PSU
And sadly, H68 based chipset :( No OC for me at all :(:(

Anyway, I'm running prime95 right now. I OC'd the FSB to 142 MHz, which I had go give the cpu an extra 3% volts for it to boot Windows.
Vcore now is 1.984 Volts

I will attempt more OC later today of course!

*Edit* Forgot to ask, I have 2 pieces of 1GB DDR3 (333MHz) RAM, can I use that instead? Will it OC as well as my Kingston?

Silver_Pharaoh
Thanks for the applause. :)

Yes, I figured you were just tinkering a bit with a backup system. That's why I recommended the NF7-S. They can be bought relatively cheaply, last time I looked they were selling for $15-30 on ebay, sometimes less than that. So, the investment is pretty low on them usually.

Not a bad system you have there. :clap:

Voltage is getting a bit high now. What are you using to cool the CPU? Do you know the model of the heatsink, or could you post pictures?

You might be able to use the DDR333 ram. Depends on whether the board will like running it at the current speed, or if the memory itself will like running at whatever the speed is at to put it another way. It may or may not like running though given the high capacity (1GB per stick), and might get unstable.

What is the capacity per stick on your Kingston, and how many sticks? Model number if you know it?

What is your current memory speed? I'd install CPUID CPU-Z and check the memory tab if you haven't already. Install CPUID Hardware Monitor too while you're at it, to give you an idea of what kind of temperatures and voltages you're getting.

Back