• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Amd Duron Spitfire OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi everyone!

So here are the final results that I settled in on:

155 FSB
7x Multilpier
and 1 of the slower 1GB RAM mixed with the faster Kingston RAM.

I ran a stress test from Hiren's dos tools, and it passed. Prime95 still fails.
After Dos stress test, temps were 61 Celcius--Quite comfortable running that for now.

Let me know if something should be changed.

Silver_Pharaoh

Socket A responds better to high FSB. That's the way you should be going.;)
FSB increases ALL the bus' including the PCI/AGP and ram frequency, which is basically throughput speed. That's why it feels snappier.

Have to tried to enable the extra cache on the processor yet?

I'd recommend you look into a different board personally. Pin mods are a little too easy to mess up on, leaving you with a dead CPU if it goes wrong.

An Abit NF7-S for instance. It has voltage options going over 2V for CPU vCore (maxed out at 2.3V if my memory serves me, and I believe up to 2.9V for vDIMM. Also, PCI and AGP are locked at 33MHz and 66MHz, respectively. And they support DDR400 memory speeds (though you may have to fiddle with CPU multiplier and FSB settings to get them to run at DDR400). And no jumpers to fiddle with!

The NF7-S is wicked easy to overclock on, my first try with one (and my first time ever overclocking socket 462/A) I took an Athlon XP 2600+ to 2.5GHz.

I also got it to 2.6GHz, but couldn't get it stable even with 2.1V.

I really genuinely like that board. I felt at home using it really (which is saying a lot given I'm used to overclocking on DFI SLI-DR and SLI-DR Expert boards), and with the layout and features it was the closest thing I could get to overclocking on a DFI board, without actually having a DFI board for socket A.

Another Abit board that's good would be the AN7, unlike the NF7/NF7-S it doesn't need a voltmod to get high bus speeds from it but the downside is some AN7's clock really well but others can be stubborn about going much past the 220 FSB mark. If you already have a good NF7 / NF7-S, you're good to go but if you spot an AN7 for a good price I'd pick it up and at least try it.

Another good one I've personally used is the Asus A7N8X Deluxe V2.0.

Although they don't have the extra 4 pin connector for power to the CPU circuit, with the right tweaking and CPU used these boards can put up some decent numbers. Even though these aren't considered in the same "Class" as the Abit's and DFI's they are good enough to get some good results from and just plain fun to mess around with. I will say though they don't have the voltage selection range the Abits and DFI's do, max with a Barton core is 1.85v's, this max can actually change based on the chip used when the board reads what it is upon startup.

Still, I loved mine and drove a few folks crazy with it too, that was the best part of all. :D

Socket A responds better to high FSB. That's the way you should be going.;)
FSB increases ALL the bus' including the PCI/AGP and ram frequency, which is basically throughput speed. That's why it feels snappier.

Have to tried to enable the extra cache on the processor yet?

Whoa Whoa Whoa, Hold on!

Enable more cache?

I know the Durons had a small 64 Kb L1 & L2, but I didn't know I could unlock more!

Mr.Scott you have amazed me again! I thought you could only unlock more cache on the Athlon's or something...

Please do explain how one goes about this!

Dr.McCoy, I have read that these Abit boards are well equipped for some OCing, but sadly I'm really tight for ca$h now. Other wise, I'd probably pick up a better board and squeeze even more MHz out of my Duron!
Thank-you though for the suggestion. If I ever decide to OC something like this again, I'll look into a "new" board!

On a side note, I can't enable the 6x or 6.5x multi on the cpu.. Don't know why, but I did manage to get 175 FSB using 5.5x multi and I still had some extra volts to give the cpu, but as Mr.Scott said, 180 FSB might be the limit here :(

Thanks again guys!! :thup:
Silver_Pharaoh

*Edit* Is it better to run 512 Mb DDR400 (the Kingston Ram) or 1.5 GB DDR333? (Kingston and A-Data Tech Corp. mix of RAM sticks?)

Last edited:
Sorry to get your hopes up. Forgot you had a Spitfire. Morgan's and Applebred's are the one's you can sometimes get extra cache from.

Is it better to run 512 Mb DDR400 (the Kingston Ram) or 1.5 GB DDR333?
Depends on what you're wanting to do. Generally, you want 1 gig or less total on a socket A machine for max OC and benching. 2 x 256 is the preferred amount. For day to day stuff and some fun benching on the side, 2 x 512 is the way to go.

Ha Ha! Now worries Mr.Scott :thup:

I did a quick google search and realized that I only have 2 L2 bridges. Any they aren't "cut" by AMD then I read that this works on Applebred and Thoroughbred cores. :cry:

I'll put the 2X256 MB Kingston back in too.

Thanks for pointing out that the socket A's like more fsb, I'll try to unlock that mysterious 6 or 6.5 multi now, still have no idea why it won't work. :shrug:

Also, you said 180 FSB would be the safe max limit of my board Asrock 7S41GX right? I could get to 180 FSB if I drop the multi even lower, but I don't want to corrupt the mobo right?

Thanks again Mr.Scott!!
Silver_Pharaoh

180 FSB will be close to your danger zone. That will put the PCI bus (no lock on SiS or Via chipsets) up around 45 MHz instead of the normal 33MHz. Some HD's don't handle that speed so good and you will corrupt data and foul your OS to the point of no repair. Sometimes it's also enough to corrupt the bios on the mobo. I've found that Seagate drives handle more bus than most. I average around 48 MHz on the Seagates before they quit. Something for you to think about. ;)

Thanks Mr.Scott, I cant (and won't) go above 175 FSB.

I ran 176 -178 FSB using 5.5 multi, and I saw a lot of weird things happening. Nova Bench never stopped running the video test, ATI Catalyst failed to start...
Too close for me.

Any ideas on that elusive 6.5 and 6X multi? I've pencil modded it correctly but it just doesn't post. The next step is 5.5 multi, but I think 6.5 multi is the sweet spot--with that I should be able to get 160 FSB and about 1.1GHz :D

Weird how it just doesn't post on 6 but it works fine in 5.5..
Cpu appears to be made in 2001 on the 20th week if that matters...

Silver_Pharaoh

Oh Mr.Scott, I know you can help me out here:

Here is a pic of my now dead sempron 2200+. I scratched all L6 bridges.
I was thinking, if I can fill my L6 bridges with non-conductive paint or something, I could scratch and pencil the bridges back together right?

Is this even feasible??? (maybe you know of a better way than paint?)

Untitled.jpg

Thanks Mr.Scott, It's always good to have someone show the new guy the ropes :D

Silver_Pharaoh

Conductive ink pen maybe?

I remember reading in some threads how that was all the rage back in the socket A days for bridge modding.

Being a bit of a newbie myself with socket A though, I think I'll wait for Mr. Scott to chime in.

Did you actually cut through the wires connecting the bridges?

Yup, I think I was reading a guide for Athlon's--Only after I cut all L6 bridges, (which unlocks the 24X multi on Athlon's I think) did I realize that it doesn't really work on Semprons..

I was thinking that, but upon closer inspection, I cut all the way down to the bare copper itself, so any kind of conductor will likely short out every L6 bridge because they are now all "joined by accident"...

But cutting the last L6 bridge gives me 11.5x multiplier instead of the regular 11.

I hope I didn't fry my poor Sempron... :cry:
First time for everything right? :shrug:

Silver_Pharaoh

Okay I think that there is little more that my Duron can spit out.

I'm very pleased with the results. Who would have thought that a 11 year old Duron cpu could produce 1 GHz? (more if I could give it more volts!)

I defiantly learned a bunch here from you guys...

Gotta thank Tech Tweaker, Dr. McCoy, ShrimpBrime, Niku-Sama and last but defiantly not least Mr.Scott-- Thanks for that modded BIOS it really helps! (Just gotta figure out better RAM timings)

Thanks again to everyone!
A fantastic first experience--both my first real OC and first time in the forums, it felt like home!

Silver_Pharaoh

Back