• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Amd Duron Spitfire OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey TechTweaker!

My Ram is 256 X 2 sticks @ only god knows what speed

Cup-Z (I love!!!) Can't tell me my actual RAM speed :( All I know is I have it set to 133MHz in BIOS and I have the CPU maxed out in voltage now.

It runs at 147MHz fsb even with the mobo jumper telling it to boot at 133FSB! (It couldn't do that yesterday)

Anyway 147MHz is all I can do, windows just doesn't boot any higher and pc just reboots. Temps while running Minecraft (yes, prime95 just quits now, obviously not stable enough for it) I think I saw 54 or 58 celcius.

I just switched fans to some regular mobo fan, but this on runs at 4500 RPM, the old one ran at 3200 RPM so it's not really getting too hot, heatsink is stock mobo.

The only way to [get more fps in Minecraft] and MHz now is to fully unlock it somehow and increase multilpier. this link seems to tell me how to do it, as I'd rather not tinker with the mobo too much. (I also used that guide to increase my voltage by penciling the L7 bridges)

Silver_Pharaoh

Darn, I just got a Machine Check Exception BSOD, I'll lower the FSB for now and install a fan on my All in Wonder 9200 GPU, I just OC'd it but the heatsink has no fan on it. I hope it was just the GPU getting too hot!

Silver_Pharaoh

Hey TechTweaker!

My Ram is 256 X 2 sticks @ only god knows what speed

Cup-Z (I love!!!) Can't tell me my actual RAM speed :( All I know is I have it set to 133MHz in BIOS and I have the CPU maxed out in voltage now.

It runs at 147MHz fsb even with the mobo jumper telling it to boot at 133FSB! (It couldn't do that yesterday)

Anyway 147MHz is all I can do, windows just doesn't boot any higher and pc just reboots. Temps while running Minecraft (yes, prime95 just quits now, obviously not stable enough for it) I think I saw 54 or 58 celcius.

I just switched fans to some regular mobo fan, but this on runs at 4500 RPM, the old one ran at 3200 RPM so it's not really getting too hot, heatsink is stock mobo.

The only way to [get more fps in Minecraft] and MHz now is to fully unlock it somehow and increase multiplier. this link seems to tell me how to do it, as I'd rather not tinker with the mobo too much. (I also used that guide to increase my voltage by penciling the L7 bridges)

Silver_Pharaoh
To me it sounds like you're probably overheating under load in Prime 95. You'll likely need a better heatsink if you hope to go any faster with it.

Hitting 54-58°C while running minecraft is not dissimilar from what you would see at idle most likely. That's very high really. I could easily see it surpassing 70°C under a heavy load, though it would likely lock up or blue screen and restart long before reaching full temperature. When I was overclocking that Athlon XP 2600+ I was seeing low 40's°C at idle, and 55-57°C max with Prime 95.

I also did some overclocking with a Thunderbird core Athlon, an Athlon 1200 A1200AMS3B. My temperatures were about the same with it as the 2600+.

I'd say you'd want to keep temps below 60°C at full load if possible. I'm not sure your stock heatsink will be able to accommodate the kind of overclock you're going for though.

As for not reading your memory speed, what version of CPU-Z are you using? The most recent one? I might recommend you try an older version, or a different version of the current revision. On my NF7-S I found that the regular version of CPU-Z didn't display my frequencies, but the ROG, G1, and OC versions displayed my frequencies correctly.

Last edited:
It's heat. Gotta keep the socket A's under 50c. ;)
You're doing well. :)
That's a little low, isn't it?

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought it was recommended to keep them below 70°C. Thermal shutdown is usually around 85-90°C, and I think most motherboards send out a warning for overheating around 75-80°C.

Socket A's go unstable generally around 50c. Doesn't matter which socket A, it's inherent to all of them. Can't go by the 'kill' specs. That's just so you don't cook your processor, it doesn't mean it'll run at that temp.
The stock cooler isn't meant to handle 2 volts either. Stock cooler with a big fan like a Tornado will only cool to around 1.75v.

Socket A's go unstable generally around 50c. Doesn't matter which socket A, it's inherent to all of them. Can't go by the 'kill' specs. That's just so you don't cook your processor, it doesn't mean it'll run at that temp.
The stock cooler isn't meant to handle 2 volts either. Stock cooler with a big fan like a Tornado will only cool to around 1.75v.

Guess I got lucky with mine then, I was hitting 60°C at some points when I was benchmarking the 2600+ but it remained stable.

Yeah, he should definitely think about investing in a better heatsink then.

Every once and a while we get lucky and find one that will run a little hotter or cooler, it's not the majority though.

I wasn't aware that there were different versions of cpu-z... I'll look into them,

As for heat guys, I reduced my FSB to 146, it's stable enough for Minecraft and the highest temp I got was 58 Celsius.

After 1 minute of prime95, it will quit saying the rounding was wrong, "expecting under 0.4" the temps were about 43 Celsius. It doesn't really matter when I run prime95, it just gets rounding issues. Obviously my overclock is not rock stable enough for prime95, but it runs fine so that makes me happy! :D

Anyway, did you guys get to look at my link?

I wan't your opinions if I should go for the 950 stock multiplier bridge trick.
I'd go with 950 MHz because I would not have to touch my L3 bridge, it's the same as the picture.

Is that too risky?
Also, I'm going to try that other slower RAM now, I'll fill you guys in.
Silver_Pharaoh

There's no risk. Use a pencil. If it works, great. If it doesn't, erase it and try a different multi.

Good point Mr.Scott!

I'm running 1 stick of that 1GB 333MHz RAM I talked about, so far so good!

I'm running memtest 86+ right now just to be sure.

After, I'll try the pencil mod and post back.

So for now, I want to thank everyone who help here! I really learned quite a lot since this is my first real OC (usually I fiddle around with OCing my video card)

So thanks for the wealth of knowledge!

I'll post back after memtest is done and I pencil mod my Duron.

Silver_Phaaroh

Here's some pics of my setup. Nothing fancy.

I did do some fancy soldering to attach 2 fans though :D

IMG190.jpg

IMG191.jpg

Your CPU fan is on backwards sir. Should be pushing cooler air down onto the heatsink, not pulling hotter air off of it.

Flip it around the other way and reattach. Should give better temps the other way.

Darn, she wouldn't post with the pencil mod for the multiplier :mad:

Oh well, at least I returned it back to normal! :D
I might try that mobo mod if I can find the parts cheap of course!

As for the fan TechTweaker, I have had better results with the fan this way.
Heat naturally rises so why force it back down?

I will flip it around of course, anything to help cool it of!

Silver_Pharaoh

Arrgh!!!!!!

I erased my pencil mod to see if the old bridges are in tact and they were!!!! I didn't cut the bridges enough!!!! No wonder it didn't post!

Back to bridge modding...
Silver_Phaaroh

Okay so while I was cutting the bridges, I put the cpu back in to test if I cut the bridges through and to my surprise, the multi was at 7 not 7.5!

I tried new FSB speeds but windows crashes at 152 FSB and even then, it was faster at 7.5 multi...

So I'll try to get that 9x multi, back to work!

Silver_Pharaoh

Sorry for so many posts again everyone, I guess I like to talk alot! :p

but... I unlocked 9x multi finally!!!

Now, the system runs at 120 FSB with max voltage, as before it would not.
I will continue to experiment tonight because it's only 10:45 pm so I have lots of time!

Feel free to let me know anything else!

Silver_Pharaoh

To tell you the truth, I bought my main pc prebuilt...

Yeah, prebuilt (only $750 altogether) So that's what came with it. It's stable for now....

Also, I'm lost now, I got my duron to have 9x multilpier but I can hardly run on 120MHz FSB now??? What's going on? I thought I'd be able to run high FSB and higher multi to get over 1.1 GHz!

It looks like I need some explaining on this now...
Anyone care to teach a worry free 20 year old a thing or two? :D

Silver_Pharaoh

Hey guys, I hope your not upset at the amount of posts that I have made.

My first real OC and I'm a little "eager" to see how far I can push it.
:facepalm:

So I was thinking, when my FSB was at 146 MHz, Windows and the whole system seemed faster and snappier. Now with just the cpu at 1100 MHz and FSB at 122 MHz, Windows takes a bit longer to load, not as snappy.
I think I'll put the multi back to 6.5 or 7 and see how far I can push the FSB.
It seemed faster.

Any comments?

Silver_Pharaoh

Back