• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, Socket-AM3+" Phenom II x6 2.8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dsh2010

Hi I have this board and a Phenom II x6 2.8Ghz 1055T TDP 130 Watt

I am attempting to overclock this however i am a noob with this stuff, I have already got Prime95, HWMonitor and CPUZ, Is this anything else i need and do I have to overclock in BIOS or is there a way to do it in Windows 7?

Any Info Would be Much Appreciated

Thanks

David :)

Welcome

:welcome: to the forums.

I have not seen any of us that help most of the posters overclock their cpu/system, that ever recommend software overclocking.

AMD has a pretty good overclocking guide for their own AOD software for their cpus on motherboards with an AMD chipset. You can google AMD AOD and likely find a tutorial on using it.

Some Asus mobo's have a % overclock in the bios and you could use it if you are into AUTO overclocking. Probably an Asus mobo forum is best suited to describing Asus Auto overclocking.

If you choose however to learn the bios overclock, then there are a few things that would be best to do at the beginning since it is best started at the beginning.

There is either a 'number' of posts limit or a time limit before you can make a signature that is extremely important to the process.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

Now as soon as possible get a signature done. Again not sure I know the limit in place before you can make and display signature.

Then it is the very best thing to do starting at the beginning to check the system for baseline stability. No sense in beginning an overclock process if the board is not stable at the outset. It just makes us chase our tails.

So you put prime 95 into blend mode testing and you have HWMonitor open on the desktop so that HWMonitor is running and logging min/max temps and voltages. Run the P95 in blend mode for at least 20 mins and hopefully your system is stable and does not BSOD or fail a worker or some other shortcoming that would indicate the sytem is not stable at even stock settings.

Then capture HWMonitor with a snipping tool so the whole screen is not displayed and attach the capture to the forum. There are three CPUz captures that need to be done and attached to the forum as well.

A good post that shows HWMonitor and three CPUz captures looks like this post right here. A good post showing 3 cpuz and HWMonitor.

A good post showing 3 cpuz and HWMonitor.

That should get you on the same page we work off of, day in and day out to coach a good overclock using bios to do so. Good luck to you sir.

To that Sig that RGone spoke of I would add information about your case make and model # as that gives us an idea of how good your ventilation is and how much room you have if you want to add an aftermarket cooler. Speaking of coolers, if you are now using the stock cooler that came boxed with the CPU I would have you realize that you will not be able to overclock very far. The stock ones barely handle the heat of the processor at stock speeds and voltages.

The Signature feature is supposedly available within one hour after your second post. After that requirement is fulfilled, click on Quick Links and then Edit Signature at the top of the page.

Could you suggest a decent but cheapish cooler for me? and i guess fans too, I do have some already but they are all cheap ones, I only have space for 2 x 80mm fans and 1x120mm fan. 1 80mm at front on bottom, 1 80mm at back in middle and 120mm on the side just below stock cooler. Sig done, so any suggestions on improves would also be of great use. will be doing prime 95 now

Thanks

The Rest

Attachments

• image2.png
    image2.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 720
  • image3.png
    image3.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 704
  • image4.png
    image4.png
    26 KB · Views: 694
At 77c your cores are dangerously hot! You need a much better CPU cooler. We cannot recommend a cooler for you because you have not given enough information about your case and we do not know how large it is and how big a cooler it might accept. What is the make and model of the case? How wide is it across the top, measured from outside to outside of the side panels? Thanks for the info about case fan capability. With only places for a 80mm fan in the front and one 80mm fan in the back your case ventilation is probably not good and warm air may be building up inside, contributing to the high temp. You might try doing some temp monitoring with the side panel off the case. By the way, how many of those fan places do you actually have fans in at the current time?

What country do you live in? Availability of products varies tremendously from one part of the world to the other as far as recommending upgrade products.

Also, what is the brand and wattage of your PSU? Please put that in your Sig.

What is the ambient temperature of the room where the computer is located? High ambient temps can contribute in a major way to high CPU core temps.

Normally we advise people to go into bios and disable Turbo Boost, Cool N Quiet and C1E. And then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. That should disable all the "green" power saving stuff that causes wide swings in frequencies and voltages that can interfere with overclocking and cause instability. Because your temps are so high I would not suggest you do that yet.

The motherboard you have is rated for 140w TCP so it will cover the 130W CPU at stock frequencies and voltages but it may not allow you to overclock very high. That board has no heatsinks on the mosfets and the VRMs and its 760/710 chipset is not very heavy duty from a power regulation standpoint. By the way, in post #1 you stated you have the 1055T, not the 1050T. The 1055T is only a 95W TDP CPU and would have served you much better for overclocking.

Last edited:
i live in the uk, my pc case is pants, its really small.(180 x 410 x 350mm (WxDxH)), Oh i appear to be missing fans!! lol i only have 1x120mm fan in and running, better get more of them then! My PSU is 750watts however i cannot see the make, a-750BR is the model though. Thanks for all the information provided so far, i will now look online for a better cooling case and other bits i need, unless you can suggest a case, psu and fans etc, i only said my CPU was 1050T because that is what it says on CPUz, the image top left, not sure why it says that?!
I can probably afford to spend a few hundred on getting this sorted so hopefully that will do the trick. I will be back when i get it all sorted.

Thanks Again for all the help :)

David

Last edited:
My strong recommendation is that your first purchase should be a roomy case with lots of fan spots. I'm not sure what's available to you in the UK for a reasonable price but IMO the two best values in cases are the Antec 300 and the Coolermaster HAF912. Here, both can be hand for under $60 US. Whatever you get, make sure it's at least 8" wide (sorry for the non-metric units but you can do the conversion, I'm sure). This is very important as all the good air coolers are tall and require a lot of space to the side panel. You may need to get some extra fans for your case when you purchase it. You want to have at least one 120mm fan in the front, top and rear panels.

For a cooler, I would recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ evo, widely available around the world; a good cooler at a good price, around $35 US.

Excellent thanks, have found Antec 300 + coolermaster both on ebay, approx £70 for both :) Thanks so much for the info, will be back when its all up and running and i will do new prime test on it before hand.

David

Back