• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 and AMD FX 8350 OC help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The successful test of 3.5h for 2145 was 11-13-13-30-48
When i set those doesn't boot up. PC turns on but nothing happens.

EDIT:11-13-13-36-48 that was it.

Last edited:
OK you must have been at default on the ram, after I typed that I had a shower and thought that it didn't seem right. Use your previous timings then but drop the ram speed by 1 step. Then try the NB again at 1.25v. I'm still pretty certain that the ram is our culprit so to verify we need to take it out of the picture.

OK how about we try this drop the ram speed to 1600 with 11-11-11-28-39 timings the rest on auto. We'll work this out. Then give the NB a try again if no go bump the volts a bit but let's stay below 1.3v

Johan this Ram is no good for AMD.....

Looking at 11-14-14 for 2400mhz and 11-13-13 for 2133 mhz.

If it can't do 800 with Cas 8 it's no good.

Purchase Cas 9 DDR3 1866 or Cas 10 2133-2400mhz Ram.

Tighter is going to be better for AMD platforms.

A 4770K on the otherhand would run that Ram all day at it's highest rated speed and possibly undervolted as well.

Johan this Ram is no good for AMD.....

Looking at 11-14-14 for 2400mhz and 11-13-13 for 2133 mhz.

If it can't do 800 with Cas 8 it's no good.

Purchase Cas 9 DDR3 1866 or Cas 10 2133-2400mhz Ram.

Tighter is going to be better for AMD platforms.

A 4770K on the otherhand would run that Ram all day at it's highest rated speed and possibly undervolted as well.

Ya I'm pretty certain that between it and the way the board sets it up it's an issue. I've been playing with my set of Gskil 2400 and ran prime for 30 minutes with the ram at speed and NB at 2600. Did you see what I posted in the Putzen thread concerning the new bios version??

Ya I'm pretty certain that between it and the way the board sets it up it's an issue. I've been playing with my set of Gskil 2400 and ran prime for 30 minutes with the ram at speed and NB at 2600. Did you see what I posted in the Putzen thread concerning the new bios version??

Yes I did actually.

But also I keep in mind different makes and models of Ram will act differently as well.

Pretty much why I stuck with Mushkin for the past few years. It's beastly even on AMD APUs. 1000mhz all day every day 9-10-9-27-36 @ 1.5v single/dual channel 1T.

I know we had similar issues with another poster with Kingston 2400 2x8 kit.

It failed again after few mins of prime. Mem was at 1532MHz and CPU/NB at 2530. CPU/NB at 1.28V

Well where do you wanna go from here Nenad. You can run it at the saved profile for now or write down all your settining and try a new bios to see if that helps anything. It doesn't seem to me that we're going to get the NB up with reasonable voltage. If we put too much into it, it's going to affect your temps too much inmy opinion. I'm not certain though that it would really cause too much damage as Trents alluded to. AMD says it's good up to 1.45 on air and my board sets it at 1.4-1.45v depending on BIOS rev. when left on auto with a NB of 2400 or up. There's no guarentee that it will help anything or let you run the NB any higher but there's also a chance it will. During my experiments with the new bios I was haveing problems getting the NB to stabilize at 2600 with the 2400 ram unless I left it at the stock 1.45v Which I know for a fact that My CPU doesn't need that voltage to run the NB that speed. When I went back with the bios, I set the NB at 2600 with 1.3v and it booted right up. Now bear in mind that's a CHV-z and G.Skill ram but I do believe there's something to it. Let me know and I'll give you a hand since you won't be able to use the EZ-flash from the bios. It doesn't let you flash backwards, at least not to an "outdated" bios as it will see it that way.

Regarding that Kingston memory issues on AMD. It's not really Kingston's fault but board manufacturers that they can't make good BIOSes. For some reasons manufacturers care more to fix BIOSes in Intel boards and also Intel boards are better designed etc. There is less issues with many things in general on Intel.
Look at all memory manufacturers ... how many of them made memory with AMP ? I was testing one -> 1 , memory kit with AMP profile in about a year and it was Patriot Viper III 2133 C11.
All other manufacturers are making XMP profiles and depends from BIOS conversion it sees it as XMP 1.1/1.2/1.3. Differences are quite big if board use wrong timing conversion. The same issues have CPU-Z in reading profiles in many memory kits and values in SPD tables are usually wrong.

G.Skill is always adding 2 profiles that look nearly the same but one of them is usually working on AMD.

When I had ASUS CHVF then many kits were not working on XMP and in nearly all cases I had to set many timings manually. Point is that average users count it will work while it's not always so easy, especially when you've never set memory timings manually.

Other thing is that 2400 clock on AMD is rarely stable. It can run for couple of hours in Prime95 but won't be surprised to see random blue screens.

In some respects I agree with Woomack about DDR3-2400

We have already had one user come thru the AMD Mobo Forum section with the Kingston Beast stuff. He also had been posting for help at another site.

This is from the other site location.
Has Problems as well with Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
djsmeegy
February 11, 2014 5:28:36 AM
- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
- KHX24C11T3K2/16X
- AMD FX9590

These modules are not in the support list by ASUS. But I want to know if you can recommend me some timing settings for 2133 or if I should OC to 2400MHz .

I have two days for some playing with that, then I'll decide if I return ram modules and choose different.

So Ive tried OC to 2400MHz with timings and it seemed to be OK, but in windows there have been random reboots. So again Ive run memtest and found 10 errors in 2nd testing part of 4. So I will return those damn memory cards.

This is what "djsmeegy" replaced his Kingston Beast with and was glad they were low profile for use even with large air coolers.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231560&ignorebbr=1
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C10D-16GAB

I looked at the list of parts used by the OP "Nenad" and with an air cooler on the cpu and an Nvidia video card, there is really no need whatsoever for DDR3-2400 and just about certainly not with AMD system.

He may do far better with less wear and tear one one's psyche, to RMA the Beast if he can and get something more likely to work without having to completely test out and try to adjust ram timings.

"djsmeegy" had issues even after he got the DDR3-2400 to run but just like Woomack said he expected, "unexpected" BSODs and that is what "djsmeegy" experienced.

Time to get different ram and begin to use the computer is my best guess.
RGone...

Hey guys. Cheers for your research and all the input. I got this memory on 29.10.2013 i doubt I can exchange them now. So I am more or less stuck with it. Since i just spent over 400$ on case and noctua, buying new ones is off limits for some time.
Johan, I am willing to try pretty much anything at this point. x) I know the settings in my head from how meny times i went trought them. x) Btw I am down as well on running the memory 1866 if that will help us get the NB somewhere to 2600 and the CPU to around 4.7.

Ok Nenad we'll do the bios. I wouldn't hold my breath for 4.7 though. My 8350 needs 1.476v to get 4.64G and you've seen what added volts do to temps already.
You'll need to get your manual and find the section on the direct flash. You already have the Thunb drive formatted to Fat32 right?? You'll need the Manual to get the proper name for the file but it's something like this ST990R20.CAP and the location of the proper USB port. Get bios ver .803 and rename it this is important to get right or your board won't find it and put it on the USB. Then go into BIOS anf use F5 for defaults save and exit then shut down but leave the power on. Put the flash drive in the proper USB port and then hold the direct flash button at the bottom of the board till a red light starts flashing. When it's done the board should be flashed. Do a CMOS clear and start to windows then shut down and input your CPU settings but leave the ram exactly where it defaults for now.

It's Important to follow the manual here. just don't use the software it isn't necessary but you have to name the file correctly.

I'm going to be out for a couple hours but will check in later. Good luck and if it works leave the mem at 1333 or wherever it sets up and play with the NB again see if you can get it bumped up.

I literately just finished some work that caught up with me its almost 1am here, and gotta get up in 6hours, i'll post tomorrow after work to try and get some stuff done Johan! Sorry for late reply.

Thanks mate, will defo do. Trying to hunt down some Gskill memories, but none in Serbia, might go over to Hungary to buy them if i manage to sell my kingstone ones x)

At least it works for now and unless you're into heavy video work or anything like that you really only need a 2x4Gig set so it'll be cheaper. I have some friends here who come from serbia.

Back