• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD RDNA2/Big Navi Rumors thread:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ahh ha.........

AMD Infinity Cache - A high-performance, last-level data cache suitable for 4K and 1440p gaming with the highest level of detail enabled. 128 MB of on-die cache dramatically reduces latency and power consumption, delivering higher overall gaming performance than traditional architectural designs.

AMD Smart Access Memory - An exclusive feature of systems with AMD Ryzen 5000 Series processors, AMD B550 and X570 motherboards and Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics cards. It gives AMD Ryzen processors greater access to the high-speed GDDR6 graphics memory, accelerating CPU processing and providing up to a 13-percent performance increase on a AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT graphics card in Forza Horizon 4 at 4K when combined with the new Rage Mode one-click overclocking setting.

So, you only get this perf uptick if you have a 5000 Series CPU and B550/X570 boards.

It will be interesting to see these tested on Intel systems to see the difference... considering the majority of users aren't on AMD in the first place, none the less an unreleased chip, it's going to be a while before a lot of people are even able to see the uptick. All those hanging on X470 and B450 for support lose out too (wait, does X470 and B450 support 5000 series?).

Last edited:
AMD has always named their software with fancy names but then they basically end up doing nothing.

This is only true if you ignore AMD Overdrive and Ryzen Master. The two most widely used CPU overclocking programs ever developed. Otherwise, yes, I agree. :p

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

does X470 and B450 support 5000 series?).

Officially, no. But There have been reports that AMD has feed the partners with the source code for BIOS updates to support 5000 series. My understanding is that it will be a one time flash with no path backwards. You will also lose compatibility with select CPU's/APU's in the process.

x470 and b450 support is gonna be dependent on board partners AFAIK.

I think if the leaks about ryzen 5000 series are correct intel is gonna be out of the gaming spot for sure. Max gaming used to be the only reason we would recommend people go Intel and now we will likely go towards amd cpu and gpu if the combo ends up better. Obviously we have to take all this with a grain of salt until independent review are out. I have said it like 50x by now but whoever can get cards in the hands of consumers is going to win. Doesn't matter who is best it matters who can ship actual HW not vapourware to just reviewers/youtubers.

Well, these are really nothing short of awesome IMO. Power use jumped higher than I imagined, but I also think they tweaked up past the sweetspot more in the past month trying to reach these performance levels.

Will AMD become the next Apple with all the hardware/software built in-house ? All they need now in an entry into motherboards and a half-way decent OS :D

The biggest shocker is the 6900XT being same TDP as 6800xt. I assume they will just be highly binned to get better clocks at lower voltages.

Well, these are really nothing short of awesome IMO. Power use jumped higher than I imagined, but I also think they tweaked up past the sweetspot more in the past month trying to reach these performance levels.

Yes...assuming Intel systems get the same performance. Until then I will agree they seem amazing but only time will tell. I sure hope they do perform well though!

Yes...assuming Intel systems get the same performance. Until then I will agree they seem amazing but only time will tell. I sure hope they do perform well though!

Given the AMD only technologies they introduced I doubt Intel will see the same performance.

You all missed that the 1st set of benchmarks (the dude with the RDNA2 T-shirt) were without the ++ of the other sets (raw performance), and the 2nd set of benchmarks were all clearly labelled with all the ++ extras and had a higher margin of FPS. The only thing we might be able to contest at the moment is (like E_D pointed out) the “preferred API” which I assume is that they did all the testing with the one that gave the higher FPS for BOTH Nvidia and AMD — you can project from there until the reviews come out, but for now from what I can see, the 6800xt is, on average, even with the 3080 with the exception of RT.

You all missed that the 1st set of benchmarks (the dude with the RDNA2 T-shirt) were without the ++ of the other sets (raw performance), and the 2nd set of benchmarks were all clearly labelled with all the ++ extras and had a higher margin of FPS. The only thing we might be able to contest at the moment is (like E_D pointed out) the “preferred API” which I assume is that they did all the testing with the one that gave the higher FPS for BOTH Nvidia and AMD — you can project from there until the reviews come out, but for now from what I can see, the 6800xt is, on average, even with the 3080 with the exception of RT.
Ahh ha!

RX6800_20.jpg

And for that type of boost, you need 5000 Series CPU and B550/X570 board at 4K. Got it! :)

EDIT: I wonder what happens at 1440?

That's why I asked that question. ;)

Found what “best API” means:
That's half the battle... what card was tested with what though? Were both cards set to the same API? If so, I assume that is the best for AMD (makes sense to run it that way).

Back