• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any OC.com Member make waterblocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I doubt if these guys will sell as singles. Maybe they will in modest group order quanities.

I'd like all the CPU die sizes and mounting bolt hole dimensions. I saw it here earlier but I can't find it now.

ok now i might be willing to shell out to get a group of sinks if people here show interest in wantint them.

We need to find out what sizes are needed for the varous CPUs. Intel & AMD. Get the bigest size needed and the people can just cut 'em down to size if needed. I think the 478 PIV would be the bigest. The top plate with the mounting holes can be made out of brass or copper plate easily obtained locally. The hardest to get and most vital part is the copper pin fin heatsinks.

ssjwizard said:
ahhh yea time to make me a water sink... hey what are the dimensins of the socket A mounting holes?

I forget who originally posted this, but here are the AMD socket hole dimensions:

Hoot

Hoot, what flow rates did you end up getting for that copper pin fin CPU waterblock of your's?

How many waterblocks are you eventually going to run in your system (CPU, GPU, NB, HD, etc.)?

TIA,

I emailed them about prototype quanities of their 2x2.5x0.9" high density copper pin fin heatsinks. This will work for a P4 based on the mounting hole dimension clearances needed. I don't know about other CPUs.

It would be good to have the other CPU HS contact dimensions so I could also inquire about them too.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I don't know what my flow rate is since I don't own a flowmeter. The last time I did some flow rate testing using a 1 gallon (measured) container and a stopwatch, I got reamed for such uncontrolled, unscientific results, that I didn't even bother doing it with the water sink. Whatever the flow rate is, with this quiet Eheim 1048, it is adequate for my needs. I have a DIY pipe-cap type water block on my northbridge, but I do not intend to add anything for my GPU or other devices. They are cool to the touch and that's fine for me. Keep in mind that I run my PC room at 20C year round. As I type this, which qualifies as idle, my system temp is 21C, my inlet water temp is 20C and my CPU is 27C. Without heading off into the cryo direction, this is cool enough for my overclocking desires.

Hoot

WOW that is cool! cold and sweet!, i wish i could keep my water temp that cool, but i am getting a heatercore soon! so i can soon enough!!!

how many cfms you got on that heatercore? im prob just gonna use negative pressure to suck air thru mine, with many fans, so massive ammounts go thru the thing, otherwize i made an aluminum shroud for one,

I run a pair of Panaflo 120x38mm 85cfm fans with shrouds in a push-pull sandwich. In that configuration, they are so effective that I run them on a rheostat down to about half speed. When I am running a program that drives the CPU hard, I reach down and turn them up to full speed. Even then, they are very quiet for as effective as they are.

Hoot

im makin me some shrouds, lookin for QUIET good cfm fans... or im gonna make a negetive pressure base for my computer with everything sealed in there and a bunch of really quiet fans pulling mad air thru the core

Hoot said:
I don't know what my flow rate is since I don't own a flowmeter. The last time I did some flow rate testing using a 1 gallon (measured) container and a stopwatch, I got reamed for such uncontrolled, unscientific results, that I didn't even bother doing it with the water sink. Whatever the flow rate is, with this quiet Eheim 1048, it is adequate for my needs. I have a DIY pipe-cap type water block on my northbridge, but I do not intend to add anything for my GPU or other devices. They are cool to the touch and that's fine for me. Keep in mind that I run my PC room at 20C year round. As I type this, which qualifies as idle, my system temp is 21C, my inlet water temp is 20C and my CPU is 27C. Without heading off into the cryo direction, this is cool enough for my overclocking desires.

Hoot

Well phooey on 'em Hoot. I'm going to test mine with a continuous overflowing feed jug at whatever height I want to test and It's going to involve a stopwatch and a measuring pail.

Your pin fin block is by far the best design I've seen yet. It addresses contact area, tubulance, and by the looks of it, high flow rates too. I can hardly wait until it gets tested on a standard test die.

Hopefully I can get some prototypes out of those guys and build some. I want to use silver plumbers brazing rod instead of tin solder. I dug around and found the 478 PIV heat speader size in Intel's Northwood data sheet pdf, go figure. A 2"x2" should work.

What size is your block's base, 2"x2"?

Are you still thinking about upgrading your Eheim 1048 to a 1250?

Last edited:
I believe the pin base I used was something like 2.25x2.25 or there-abouts. I don't have my design notes. I have an Eheim 1250 brand new pump sitting on the shelf, waiting for when I feel like embracing the inconvenience of swapping out my already working (acceptably) 1048. When I have nothing more compelling to work on, I'll get around to trying it.

Hoot

The biggest all copper pin fin base I could find at Cool Inovations was 1.5" square. It would just cover the CPU heat spreader but I'd like it to be larger than that for more cooling capacity. If I can get some samples, I'll have to braze four of 'em together and trim down to size. I could also just embed one in a 2.5x2.5" copper plate and have the outer channel mostly clear like you did.

they had larger ones i sent them an email inquiring about minimum orders and priceing on one of there sinks i want to make some blocks maybe sell them to freinds who want to get into wc

also just processed in inqury about getting some custom done 2x2x.5" out of Cu in there -U format(lots of narrow pins)

CreePinG_DeatH said:
Anyone else notice how high the thermal resistances are with those heatsinks?

Don't forget those figures are for air. Water is many times more efficient and the c/w will be substantialy better.

--------------------------------

They don't have any all copper sinks larger than 1.5"x1.5" according to their web site. All the larger ones were either aluminum or aluminum with copper clad bases. In large order quanities the 1.5"s go for ~$4.50 ea. I'd pay maybe double that at most for a real small prototype order. I'd pay much more for some larger custom all coppers if they would mint some.

BTW, I haven't recieved any response from CI yet. Let's hope they aren't too big for their britches to care about us crazy watercoolin' overclockin' nutcase fringe fanatics.

Danger Den's pin fin block

Here is the one DD made. It matches their maze block. It's not the same as Hoot's has both round pin fins and a maze so it should be better.

I'll try CI one more time and see if they blow me off. Otherwise I'll have to figure something else out like criss cross cutting the blank copper block or silver brazing copper pins. Whole lotta extra work.:(

Hoot- what is each part of the block made out of? How did you get the fittings to stay in? Are they brass? 1/2inch 3/8?
Spyder

Back