• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me overclock iv never tried

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanozDirect

Registered
I have a m3a32 deluxe mobo
and have a 4870 x2
iv just got a am3 965 be to stop bottlenecking the beast
Im not sure where to start i dont know weather i should start with just multiplyer or do i need to change all the voltages to?

I have a hyper212 coolmaster cooler which drops stock cpu temps by 15 deg
plenty of circulation

Id like to run 3.8 to 4 gig it should cope with this easily
can any1 help me
I feel like a noob and i dont like it

thanx

:welcome: to the Forums!

There are many good threads for you to read through and one about OC'ing the Phenom II in particular - Dolk's Guide: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=596023

For starters download Prime95 and CoreTemp OR OCCT then check your load temp. Prime95 doesn't have built-in temp readings, OCCT does. Idle temp has nothing do to with overclocking and any time we ask about temps we mean 100% CPU load temps.
OCCT
Prime95
CoreTemp

Next up, you should familiarize yourself with your BIOS since that is your main OC tool. At a minimum you should manually set your vCore (CPU voltage), vDIMM (RAM voltage), and RAM timings to their stock numbers. RAM timings and voltage can be found using CPU-Z's SPD tab. A good place to start for CPU voltage is the stock 1.35v.

Now you're set to start OC'ing! :)
- Raise your CPU multiplier by one and test for stability by running P95 or OCCT for 3-5 min. Also check your load temp at this time.
- If it doesn't error and your CPU temp is at or below 55°C then reboot and repeat.
- If it does error and your CPU temp is at or below 55°C then raise the vCore 0.05v and repeat.
You can keep doing this until your vCore is at 1.45v or your load temp is over 55°C.

There are some other things that might help out but let's take it one step at a time. ;) Read Dolk's Guide while you're running your stability tests and you'll know where to go when you hit a snag!

Post back with results ... :)

tried to oc

iv put my multiplier at x 19
my fsb at 210
my nb at x 10
i got 3990mhz

im using occt and prime 95 and they keep giving me blue screen almost straight away
do they work with win 7 or is this meaning im unstable??

Last edited:
win 7 error

i made my volts 1.425 and it runs games runs stable
it sits on 47 deg after running vantage and drops back to 44 deg after a rest
it wont run anny of these stress programs:bang head

thanks for the help it all works just wish i could check
just to be sure to be sure!!

Batting Average (0.0001) from 2007 to 2010. Welcome to Overclocking :D

sorry have been busy with work interstate. but

iv got system to run stable at 3.8 ghz:cool: but system gets hot very quickly:temper: in occt test and stops when hits temp 60deg. i have gpu set to leaf blower mode and my adjustable fans up a bit to help, but still to hot.

during game play it is fine but i have no way of knowing wat temps it reaches. im thinking it could be my case or the thermal paste iv used. can u apply to much ( does it hurt) my idle temps r 36deg and it hit 60deg:cry: after 7 min on the hour auto test. i can post pics of case if you want to c.

if sumone could give me sum help it would be great:bday:.
i do get max setting but already on most new games but more frames cant hurt

thanks heaps for your knowledge it helped heaps when i double checked post 2 and dolks post was a great help to. thank you both:cool:

If you think your case airflow might be the problem I suggest taking off the side of the case and pointing a room fan in there. If the temps drop then your case could use some work. If temps don't drop much then it's not the case airflow ... ;)

i tried that before i rechecked the posts and got way lower temps, for a setup with hot gpu wat sort of cases or case mods do u rekomend, i already have max fans with as much air flow in my case as i can get.?:cry::bang head:bang head i didnt retry the occt test yet ill do this soon but my idle temp is 9 deg lower. my case is bout 5 yr old and faithful.

What case did you say you had?

I've just been looking over some reviews and that GPU is a heat monster. :eek:

Does the fan vent out the side of card as well as the back? It's hard to tell in the pics I've run across but it looks like there's a vent on the "outside" of the video card - where a lot of cases have vents in their removable sides ...

i honestly dont know my case brand but it has a fan at the side of the case but due to hyper 212 it has been removed cause it sits where it does. it has 2 lower front 80 mm fans and 2 at the back. the hyper 212 has 2 120 mm fans attached and i still have a lot of heat. (it acts as a heater in my room). the gpu does have a rear case outlet but that doesnt still heat from rising from the thing.

do you know about the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 4870X2 VGA Cooler iv been looking at it for a while but im not sure. i wasnt able to find many people who posted results on its use anywhere, only a few. good results but chance of damage.

i am after a cool and quiet method to do this. at moment i have a flyby jumbo sound when i turn up fans on a hot day.

so far i have been running masseffect 2 on 1080i for 3 hours with no errors on my 46inch bravia. i beleive your input on oc'ing was spot on. thanks heaps.

i just need to solve my heater problem

Big problem there. 2x80mm < 1x120mm so you're probably building up heat inside the case. The GPU and PSU fans will help some with airflow but it's just not enough. Not sure what you can do short of DIY'ing your case ...

Back