• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4770k IMC is Aida64 enough????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All 990FX Gigabyte series are total mistake. It was like GB used clients as beta testers ;)
I have that Z87X-OC as I said few posts ago. It's one of the best Z87 boards on the market and also one of the cheapest designed for OC. BIOS can be little weird so if anyone is used to ASUS/ROG BIOS then can pick Z87 Hero as it's similar class. I also like that GB has 4x pcie x16 slots so can use more cards. I have Z87X-OC in my daily rig right now and I'm also using it for memory tests. I would bench some more but my 4770K is really bad and can barely pass 5GHz on ss cooling.

Oh I've been checking them out guys, the only issue I have with the Giga board is that it's not in stock at my local store, already checked. The Hero seems like the best contender for the $. My eyes keep wandering back to the formula though, why???? I've been reading some reviews and don't know if it would really offer any extra performance but I do like some of the goodies they have for benching. I'll have to look again but the ROG connect isn't availabe with the HERO is it???

I have that Z87X-OC as I said few posts ago.
Sorry I missed that Woomack. It seems on the Intel side most Z87 boards will Oc the K series Cpu's well it's just a matter of what goodies you want and how much you're willing to pay for better parts/components on the mobo.

I'll have to look again but the ROG connect isn't available with the HERO is it???
I'm pretty sure it isn't available on the Hero Johan and as you know now it's a pretty good option to have for benching.

Sorry I missed that Woomack. It seems on the Intel side most Z87 boards will Oc the K series Cpu's well it's just a matter of what goodies you want and how much you're willing to pay for better parts/components on the mobo.

I'm pretty sure it isn't available on the Hero Johan and as you know now it's a pretty good option to have for benching.

Ya I went and checked hero no formula yes. Ah what the hell it's only $100.

If Shamino really quit ASUS team then I wonder how future ROG boards will look like. Most previous Intel ROG boards were improved till Shamino was testing them so usually ~3 months after premiere. After this time you could barely see new BIOS with anything more than " improves stability" or added new CPU microcode. Simply if board issues were not solved in that 3 months then were never solved.

Shamino has left ASUS??

I hadn't heard that... I haven't been keeping up too much with overclocking lately.

@Johan45... I found it hard to find long term stability when running my 4770K while "crunching" Rosetta (24/7) at 4.7GHz. I settled on 4.6GHz/DDR3-2133... Even so I still sometimes can get a bluescreen after 6 or 7(+) days running @ full load.

Is that a decent motherboard Woomack? I'm sure you wouldn't be linking it if it weren't but my brain tends to stay with what I know on the AMD side. With the Fx processors, we have seen a lot of issues with the Gigabyte boards through the different revisions, some are great boards and some are junk.
Its a great board for the money... without a doubt.

AMD boards have nothing to do with Intel boards. Do not let the name badge confuse you. ;)

Just wanted to update the thread. I got rid of the Killer and picked up the ASUS Maximus Hero and couldn't be happier I did. Have the same 4.5 OC with .04v less. I can run the cache up to 45-4600 which wasn't possible before. Have done some benching with it and kinda getting the hang of it now. The funniest part is...... I set the auto "CPU UP" to 4.6 in the bios and it runs stable with P95 plus all the Green stuff works. That was the easiest OC I have ever done. It runs prime with 1.396v and that's about the limit of the TT AIO. I have to say either the killer was defective or the Hero is just that much better. Never tested the new board using Aida64 but I still don't believe it's sufficient for stability.

Just wanted to update the thread. I got rid of the Killer and picked up the ASUS Maximus Hero and couldn't be happier I did. Have the same 4.5 OC with .04v less. I can run the cache up to 45-4600 which wasn't possible before. Have done some benching with it and kinda getting the hang of it now. The funniest part is...... I set the auto "CPU UP" to 4.6 in the bios and it runs stable with P95 plus all the Green stuff works. That was the easiest OC I have ever done. It runs prime with 1.396v and that's about the limit of the TT AIO. I have to say either the killer was defective or the Hero is just that much better. Never tested the new board using Aida64 but I still don't believe it's sufficient for stability.
Good to hear you're liking your new toy.
I set the auto "CPU UP" to 4.6 in the bios
Did you also get it to 4.6 on your own? I'm just curious if it's over-volting it by a bunch over what you found.

Good to hear you're liking your new toy.
Did you also get it to 4.6 on your own? I'm just curious if it's over-volting it by a bunch over what you found.

No haven't tried really. The volts would fluctuate between 1.37-1.396, I actually just took that as a starting point for some of my benching. Just switched over to manual voltage and adjusted as required. I have my 4.5 OC but lately have just been setting it to the AUTO 4.6 if I'm not benching or Folding. I should give it a trial at some point but there's only so much time and benching is more fun. Ha ha ha Also when I get this thing plumbed in to the main line it'll all change anyway.

No haven't tried really. The volts would fluctuate between 1.37-1.396, I actually just took that as a starting point for some of my benching. Just switched over to manual voltage and adjusted as required. I have my 4.5 OC but lately have just been setting it to the AUTO 4.6 if I'm not benching or Folding. I should give it a trial at some point but there's only so much time and benching is more fun. Ha ha ha Also when I get this thing plumbed in to the main line it'll all change anyway.

Yeah I was just curious to see if it was dramatically different. Fingers crossed for some cold now! :)

I'm starting to think that maybe I could try one more 4670K ... my last one needed 1.4V+ for 4.4GHz :p

I'm starting to think that maybe I could try one more 4670K ... my last one needed 1.4V+ for 4.4GHz :p

Wow that's a tough ride, I see why you weren't too impressed Woomack, didn't you say you tried 3 different ones too?
Manny the next couple of weeks look to be a bit more seasonal. So nothing serious but a couple mornings around the -10 area. I might see what I can do with the 4.6 on manual . we'll see how time and the warden work out!

Yep, I was testing 2x 4770K and 2x 4670K ... all were bad. I'm using haswell only for gaming and memory tests ... my 4770K is also bad but not as bad as that last 4670K. 4770K is usually running @4.2GHz ~1.25V. Last time when I was trying to make some higher clocks then it was crashing or couldn't boot into windows @5.1GHz on dice :p
I just wish one that can make 5.5GHz+ on ss/dice on 2 cores :) For multi cores I have 4930K that can make 5.7GHz on 2 cores but haswell performance in older benchmarks is much higher core to core.

I haven't tried anything above 5.0 for obvious reasons but have done some benches at 4.9 with the Hyperthreading off @ 1.46v probably close to 1.49 with LLC considered. I managed to run XTU bench @ 4.8 ( 8 threads) and 4500 cache actually gat some decent points. I was a bit surprised. I've done some more reading and these CPUs seem to be all over the map performance wise. Some are suggesting bad TIM and should de-lid but I don't think that's it just from my observations.

Back