• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Marathon SIII: December SuperPi 32M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually McCoy, we were talking about this sub but I certainly would love to know what tricks you have up your sleeve to be able to knock 23 seconds off the best I could manage at 5.0 here. :D

Callin me out eh? :fight: :D

Yes it took some cold on the entire system to make that happen - It also helps that temps outside have been good as of late but not over the last few days. As stated, my stuff is outdoors (The shack) all the time with whatever ambient temps are out there when I do a run. If it's nice and cold out, that's prime time for me to get busy.
I just turn it on, fire up the blowers and let it sing.

Here's my best at it so far..... Done in said cold outdoor temps with the blowers and all going.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2650491_

Not at all Doc I know you're good at this bench but if you look at the guys with the 6300 their NB is 2600 and the ram is Meh, Looks to me like they just made a half arsed attempt and cranked up the speed. There was no effort put into that it seems very obvious too.

Silver_Pharaoh / i5-2300 / Stock Air/ 9m 8s 641ms

I really don't think there's more I can do.
Still can't boot past 108 Mhz BCLK, and running the RAM at 1150 Mhz+ totally killed my OS before I could do anything.

Yes, memory timings are my weakness :(

spi32m9.8.641.PNG

Last edited:
DarkApollo/FX-8350/H2o/15:20.386

Best I could do for now.. Maybe drop the FSB down a bit and I can get into 6 core. Going from 2 to 4 dropped it a whole 24 seconds at the same speed.
4_9.png

Last edited:
Not at all Doc I know you're good at this bench but if you look at the guys with the 6300 their NB is 2600 and the ram is Meh, Looks to me like they just made a half arsed attempt and cranked up the speed. There was no effort put into that it seems very obvious too.

Don't need much of a attempted if they are 2400's and i doubt if he has more the 1.85 volts going to them if that http://www.overclockers.com/gskill-pi-ddr32400-cl9-4gb-memory-kit-review/ but you AMD guys would know about there memory controllers then I would . My question is what TridentX ram was Mandrake4565 running the timing look to be for 2400's for 1600's should be at 8-8-8 easy

EDIT- oops sorry lol math was off I see mandrake was at 1900+ wow one two many i guess and I see 1st is at 6.0+ gigs on cpu sorry

Last edited:
Going the wrong way bro. SPI is single threaded. Drop to 2 or even 1 core and bang up your OC. :)

Well heres the thing:
1) my mobo wont lock 7 cores, only 6 so minimum 2 cores.
2) at 2 cores I was looking at 15:45 just using 4 downed it to 15:20
3) cap is 5.005 so I am at the cap already. 25x200.0 is 5Ghz so there is no more OC to go under the cap.

Expected since it's for the ongoing comp.
They know I have the best so far that's been entered for Vishera but they should also realize I can do more.... And I think they do. Just some sandbagging on their part I'm sure.

@ Mandrake; If you can, cranking up the CPU/NB speed to 3000 will help. Also know that you can gain a little if you loosen up your timings and up your RAM speeds. AMD's do prefer tighter timings but in this case, there is benefit from going in the opposite direction on this since your RAM speeds are close to being topped out as you have them now.... Unless you mega-volt the sticks. If you don't have something for keeping them cool like I do for that purpose, you'll have to see how much you can get with looser timings used.

@ Dark Apollo:
Using less cores will help temps under load and contribute to stabilizing the system. OC'ing these chips is not the same as it is with an Intel, using muliplier only will let you get high CPU speeds but hamper tweaking your RAM and CPU/NB speeds. AMD's are more flexible in that regard so why not take advantage of this?
A mix of CPU multiplier and FSB speed is the best way to go, just look at my run and you'll get an idea. Depending on the CPU, board and sticks you have to use you might be able to go with alot of FSB and RAM speed, maybe not but the only real way would be to give it a shot and see. You could try something such as a 22x CPU multiplier with the amout of FSB speed used to start, then see what goes. Keep working it higher in baby steps to figure out what happens as you increase the NB while dropping your CPU multi to stay around 5000MHz and you'll eventually get a handle on what's going on.

Last edited:
Well heres the thing:
1) my mobo wont lock 7 cores, only 6 so minimum 2 cores.
2) at 2 cores I was looking at 15:45 just using 4 downed it to 15:20
3) cap is 5.005 so I am at the cap already. 25x200.0 is 5Ghz so there is no more OC to go under the cap.

DOH! Didn't know there was a cap now.
Anyhow, SPI is still single threaded, so whatever you think you gained by upping cores is a placebo. You did something different between your 2 and 4 core runs.

5005 is over the cap BTW.

Last edited:
Yea, this one you have to actually work to get your scores. I think benchmarks is more about the users knowledge than the hardwares ability.

Scotty / FX-9590 / Water / 14m 44.359s

Attachments

• 5gspi.JPG
    5gspi.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 58
DOH! Didn't know there was a cap now.
Anyhow, SPI is still single threaded, so whatever you think you gained by upping cores is a placebo. You did something different between your 2 and 4 core runs.

5005 is over the cap BTW.

Yes, 5005 is the cap but if you see my bus runs hot at 200.9 which is 5050 and over the limit ;)
The only thing I changed was going from 2 to 4 cores..

Yes, 5005 is the cap but if you see my bus runs hot at 200.9 which is 5050 and over the limit ;)
The only thing I changed was going from 2 to 4 cores..
I understand what you're saying but...........I don't care if you run 40 cores, it will not make a difference to a single threaded app.
A fresh boot when you changed core count probably made the difference.

Back