• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help overclocking Phenom II x6 1100T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scavenger84

Hi im just started overclocking my system ive managed to get it to 3.6ghz but i cant get it stable any higher can anyone give me some advice to get it up to 4.0ghz thanks

Amd Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1100T 3.62GHZ
Asus M5A78L-MLX V2
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650
Corsair 4096MB ( DDR3-133
Bios AMI 1401 04/27/2013
Coolermaster 430 elite
Coolermaster TX3

cpuzmain.jpg cpuzmemory.jpg cpuzspd.jpg

Last edited:
Just cutting thru all the BS and what ifs...

...it seems you are here > This >> Coolermaster TX3 << is not likely to take your cpu to the range of 3.8Ghz to maybe 4.1Ghz that a lot of Phenom II x6 1100T's will do on a good motherboard with very good cooling.

You can look at your TMPIN0 temp of max 57c which is n0t far from the suggested limit of 62c and then look at the core temps of 48c which is still below 55c but they are both only single digit temps from reaching their respective max's.

The CPU Vcore max of 1.332V is not nearly enough to reach 4.0Ghz or close thereto. It will take probably about 1.3875V to 1.4225 to approach 4.0Ghz. So the short story about going faster is more Vcore and watch the temps as you raise cpu multiplier and speed of cpu.

Said another way is that you have not given the cpu enough voltage to be stable when running faster than 3.6Ghz and/but or most likely when you raise the voltage to what the cpu needs, you will have gotten too hot is most likely the situation as it stands now.

Sure give the cpu some more voltage. See how hot it gets. Just know it will get hotter and the limits we suggest for temps are spoken of above.
RGone...ster.

Thanx for the info I might wait till got a better cooler and it drops down lower before adjusting.. I only overclocked it to 3.6 yesterday from 3.30 so it's gone up a bit for now.. Manged to get it to 3.8 buy it bsod so had to lower it

And atm i only have two case Fans and that tx3 installed so may need push and pull will help cool down buy my mb system tmpini1 always seems steady @27c

Can I ask also which cpu cooler you recommend and ultra quiet case Fans with good performance thanks just want great airflow but try to be ultra quiet I know can't have both but worth a try

Man fan choices...

...fan choices are so pre-disposed to what someone believes they experience that it just opens up all sorts of discussions and maybe a lot of what ifs. So am simply going to write this and let you decide. I will say this though, if you want cpu speed you MUST get the hot air out of the case at all cost, even in terms of noise to some extent. I would also put both case fans on a controller so that I could throttle them down when system not in heavy use.

But here is another thought first. Get the CM 212 EVO cpu cooler and get a second fan for it that is rated the same as the one it comes with. Put the CM212 EVO in a push/pull configuration with the two fans and then SEE what happens. Maybe searching case fans may not be so needful. Test and see can almost always save some coins. Unless you just feel the need to beef up the case cooling and if so here is how I see it right now. Others of course will have other opinions and in the end it may come down to monies and fan CFM ratings and pee on the noise.

the best price/quiet performance are Yate Loons.
Next would be Scythe Slipstreams. I upgraded my Yates to scythes.
If you want real quiet then get Noctua, but they're about $20 each.

Case fan wise that should let you g00gle up some fans and their prices and air flow.

I will be honest as I think again about what I wrote. You should get a good cooler and see if you can get to 3.8Ghz without overheating in 2 hours of P95 Blend mode. If you can then you can decide if you are going to spend to get to 4.0Ghz if you wish to continue to push for cpu speed.
RGone...ster.

hey yer well when i first looked for fans i liked the "Scythe Slipstreams" and the "Noctua" but then i saw "Aerocool Dead Silence" which come in 2 sizes
CFM: 54.8 (37.6@7V), speed: 1200 (800@7V), air pressure: 1.48 (0.99@7V) and noise: 15.8dBA (12.1dBA@7V

so i thought id give them a go definately evo with 2 of them in push/pull config

Thats where i need to start , also i know i need to upgrade my mb desprately as 4gb memory doesent give me much 2 x dimm slots isnt enough for me
atm temp idles at 33.9c on cpu

Well it seems you have an idea of what to do to go forward without breaking the bank. One thing I did NOT look at was how wide that computer case is. It has to be at least 7.5 inches wide or the CM212 EVO cooler will not fit with side cover installed. I prefer 8 inches wide myself in order to ensure the CM212 EVO will fit without any interference.

By the way wide, not long nor tall.
RGone...ster.

yer il check size now on there website i orignally wanted a corsair h100i , as i got one of there psu I range in pc with corsair link so would work together but know i would have to make room by cutting case up lol which rather not il post size of case now if can find
its a coolermaster 430 elite
im guessing it will fit shorely coz i got the tx3 in ok

Thats the size of my current case is that ok?
Dimensions (W x H x D) 190 x 424 x 490 mm / 7.5 x 16.7 x 19.3 inch

looks tight to me being 7.5 the case has a fan in the side too so hope it doesnt cause problems unless i take that out

i just read a utube showing my case with coolermaster 212 evo in there and said this in comments
"Lookin4SVX2 years agoin reply to zpluto12345

No, no issues installing the HSF because it must be installed it before it goes into the case. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus has its own custom back plate, it doesn't use the standard AMD fittings, they had to be removed and the cooler master ones installed. I did have issues getting the 2 120mm top fans in after the motherboard was in. I ended up having to turn the mobo on a angle to get them in. If I installed them first then the HSF would hit them when trying to seat the mobo."

It's ok, 7,5in is the least recommended width as RGone said above. Make sure you get 2 more fan brackets for push/pull config since the 212 EVO comes with just 2 fan brackets in the package.

yea i saw that but i made the assumption that the fan was already on the cooler and those supplied were spares for 2nd fan damn hmm il go google lol

hmm cant find the brackets :-s not good thought could do push pull but some reviews saying the exhaust fans on top would be enough?

hmm cant find the brackets :-s not good thought could do push pull but some reviews saying the exhaust fans on top would be enough?

Your search is useless. based on RGone's comment...

...it seems you are here > This >> Coolermaster TX3 << is not likely to take your cpu to the range of 3.8Ghz to maybe 4.1Ghz that a lot of Phenom II x6 1100T's will do on a good motherboard with very good cooling.

In reality, a couple of extra fans on a Hyper 212 cooler is not going to be considered "very good cooling", at least in my own eyes (not that my opinion matters here) but.....

The idea of the H100i and a little case modding if needed would have gotten this 1100T easily to 3.8ghz very likely. With just 2 fans on the rad I might add.

One of the best tricks with AMD Phenom or FX is to run that cpu as cool as humanly possible.

yea i get that but i dont think the h100i would fit in my case without engineering that i really dont want to do i dont want to cut it to big and defo wont fit haha rather keep diminsions as they are if you really think it would fit withought cutting case id try it

Decisions are yours for the making. We can only point you in a direction.

Budget also comes to mind. Your looking for decent cooling at the cheapest possible price on one of the most expensive and largest Phenom II chips money can buy.

I can however tell you the end secret to all cooling aside from forced chilling.....

Lower the ambient temperatures. Hot HS needs Cool air to be effective.

The difference between air and liquid cooling is.......

HSF = heat accumulation within case.

WC = heat transferred via tubing to exterior location for dissipation. (Run interior case temps cooler)

Back