• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Call Of Duty 2 Single Player Demo Out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm whats wrong with the fileplanet servers again?

Sounds like this will rock though...

Attachments

• cod2.jpg
    cod2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 349
After a few more rounds with it, here is what I think...

Graphics: Fantastic graphics. Looks fantastic with everything turned up (@ 1280x1024). The heat rising in the beginning looks awesome, and the smoke is incredibly realstic.

AI: The AI seems to be much improved. Your crewmates actually kill people pretty consistently. I sure wasn't to impressed with the allied AI in the first game. Same goes for enemy AI, much improved. Nothing like seeing a German pick up the grenade you just threw at him and heave it back at you. Priceless ;)

Controls: Controls are pretty much the same expect for grenades. Grenades are now activated by pressing '4' (smoke grenades) and the Scroll Button on your mouse (frag grenades). I personally find this is a downgrade, but thats just because instinct keeps telling me go hit 4 for frag grenades, and I keep getting smoked. Would like that to be changed, but I can live with it.

Gameplay: Awesome. This is where CoD outshines all competitors. It feels like you are actually in the war. The sounds of war hit you smack in the face from the beginning and dont let up for a moment. This game will get your adrenaline racing for sure. The difficulty doesn't seem to be as hard as it was in CoD1, but maybe that's just me.

Overall: Definetly a must buy. If the retail version is more of this, I will be extremely pleased. Buy this! :D

CalsonicGTR said:
After a few more rounds with it, here is what I think...

Graphics: Fantastic graphics. Looks fantastic with everything turned up (@ 1280x1024). The heat rising in the beginning looks awesome, and the smoke is incredibly realstic.

AI: The AI seems to be much improved. Your crewmates actually kill people pretty consistently. I sure wasn't to impressed with the allied AI in the first game. Same goes for enemy AI, much improved. Nothing like seeing a German pick up the grenade you just threw at him and heave it back at you. Priceless ;)

Controls: Controls are pretty much the same expect for grenades. Grenades are now activated by pressing '4' (smoke grenades) and the Scroll Button on your mouse (frag grenades). I personally find this is a downgrade, but thats just because instinct keeps telling me go hit 4 for frag grenades, and I keep getting smoked. Would like that to be changed, but I can live with it.

Gameplay: Awesome. This is where CoD outshines all competitors. It feels like you are actually in the war. The sounds of war hit you smack in the face from the beginning and dont let up for a moment. This game will get your adrenaline racing for sure. The difficulty doesn't seem to be as hard as it was in CoD1, but maybe that's just me.

Overall: Definetly a must buy. If the retail version is more of this, I will be extremely pleased. Buy this! :D
Could not of have said it better myself. If the levels are varied, and with alot of different locations ect..., I am already calling this GOTY. I am sorry nothing will suprass this. Did infinty Ward Modifiy the Q3 engine, or this coded from scratch?

EDIT GTR, whats your FPS, what res, details ect.. B/C even ppl with 7800's are getting lower FPS. Mabey we are capped at 30 or Infinty Ward did a sweet Job with coding and optimising it. At about 20-25 FPS's it plays fine :)

theELVISCERATOR said:
Hmm whats wrong with the fileplanet servers again?

Sounds like this will rock though...

Cool, your downloading at off peak time. The reason it sucked for everyone else was prime time hours as soon as it was released, overloaded servers.

Vengance_01 said:
Could not of have said it better myself. If the levels are varied, and with alot of different locations ect..., I am already calling this GOTY. I am sorry nothing will suprass this. Did infinty Ward Modifiy the Q3 engine, or this coded from scratch?

EDIT GTR, whats your FPS, what res, details ect.. B/C even ppl with 7800's are getting lower FPS. Mabey we are capped at 30 or Infinty Ward did a sweet Job with coding and optimising it. At about 20-25 FPS's it plays fine :)

Yeah seriously, when you get lag it's not like hardcore stuttering/freezeing like some games. Maxed out for me I get low FPS but I can still play it fine :shrug:

I'm pretty sure it's not the Quake 3 engine, I'm not even sure what it is. I think they did it from scratch?? :shrug: Someone knows I bet

Everything maxed at 2X Anti-Analising works perfect....It's 4X which makes me lag.

Last edited:
Vengance_01 said:
GTR, whats your FPS, what res, details ect.. B/C even ppl with 7800's are getting lower FPS. Mabey we are capped at 30 or Infinty Ward did a sweet Job with coding and optimising it. At about 20-25 FPS's it plays fine

Every detail is maxed. Resolution is 1280x1024, AA 4x, Smoke set to highest. FPS seems pretty good. During most firefights I seem to sit around 30-38fps. When the smoke starts spewing, I go to about 20-26 fps, depending on the amount of smoke. Not to say that it isnt playable at 20fps, because it is still extremely smooth at that 20fps.

To answer your other question, I remember reading that this was a totally new engine. No way they could get the Q3 enging to look so good ;).

Vengance_01 said:
Why play on the XBOX 360. Mouse and keyboard and headphones + COD2 = WOW!!!! :santa:

Yeah, hopefully it will be keyboard, mouse, 360 and 52" of 720p goodness.

We'll see though. If it doesn't look much better for the 360 I might as well pick it up for $30 for the PC as someone will have it on sale that cheap soon enough. Although, theres nothing like games on the big screen.

ps the gameplay is every bit as good as the original. Great gameplay!

OC Noob said:
Yeah, hopefully it will be keyboard, mouse, 360 and 52" of 720p goodness.

We'll see though. If it doesn't look much better for the 360 I might as well pick it up for $30 for the PC as someone will have it on sale that cheap soon enough. Although, theres nothing like games on the big screen.

ps the gameplay is every bit as good as the original. Great gameplay!

If you don't pick up COD2 for the 360, theres other great games coming out on launch w00t. I probably will only get COD2 for PC, makes the most sense Keyboard/Mouse. Although I'm sure the 360 will be almost on par with the PC version after seeing Gears Of War 720P video :drool:

This was the first game I played with my new Logitech Z-5500's, and man, I am so glad that it was the game, the sound just at the beginning blew me away, and the shear power of the sounds of war was amazing!

Graphics wise, I just killed AA, and It ran flawlessly, IMO there wasnt much of a graphic difference between it and normal rendering. So just keep it off, and run it at great speeds! I just left all the other settings to regular, I will play with them later.

shard said:
This was the first game I played with my new Logitech Z-5500's, and man, I am so glad that it was the game, the sound just at the beginning blew me away, and the shear power of the sounds of war was amazing!

Graphics wise, I just killed AA, and It ran flawlessly, IMO there wasnt much of a graphic difference between it and normal rendering. So just keep it off, and run it at great speeds! I just left all the other settings to regular, I will play with them later.

Told you it would be good :p Now we just need a Multiplayer demo :drool:

After playing the demo and watching HD direct feed gameplay for Xbox360, I must say that 360 version looks much better, way more detail. I know that some of you guys will disagree but you can always check out some of the vids and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'll be getting it soon as it comes out and no I don't care if they have keyboard/mouse for it, since I like controller more.

RedDragonXXX said:
After playing the demo and watching HD direct feed gameplay for Xbox360, I must say that 360 version looks much better, way more detail. I know that some of you guys will disagree but you can always check out some of the vids and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'll be getting it soon as it comes out and no I don't care if they have keyboard/mouse for it, since I like controller more.

in graphics options and model detail or one of them you can only select normal, dunno if its just my x850xt that wont get it higher but im sure in the retail you will have a high or maybe higher for models and other settings. its like the AOEIII demo, the pics looked way better then when you play the demo.

As of right now Xbox360 looks and plays better, but once Vista comes out along with new sockets they will be on par.

Biggest thing about COD2 on Xbox360 is that they have each CPU core dedicated for Physics, AI and effects and when you add that monster 48parallel pipe GPU to the equation... well you get the point.

RedDragonXXX said:
As of right now Xbox360 looks and plays better, but once Vista comes out along with new sockets they will be on par.

Biggest thing about COD2 on Xbox360 is that they have each CPU core dedicated for Physics, AI and effects and when you add that monster 48parallel pipe GPU to the equation... well you get the point.

no.

It will never play better on the xbox 360, and since the game doesnt even have ragdolls there is no need for more cores. PC version will be better, as always. And that will never change.

Someone plz post some screenies cuz I'm not going to try this game on my Ti500.

Panzerknacker said:
no.

It will never play better on the xbox 360, and since the game doesnt even have ragdolls there is no need for more cores. PC version will be better, as always. And that will never change.

I don't know where you get your sorces or if you are just making blind statements, but either way watch the Grant Collier Interview which should make things clear for you.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/743/743289/vids_1.html

P.S. Let's not make this into another PC vs Console war!!!

I would hope that the XBOX360 looks better than a PC with those massive specs. Anyway, I dont really mind that their version looks better, I just want more of this great gameplay!

Panzerknacker said:
PC version will be better, as always. And that will never change.

That wont always be true. At the rate consoles keep advancing they might just do in the PC gaming market. I doubt that it will actually happen, but you never know.

I really hope that the xbox360 and ps3 blow away everything currently on the PC market. that means that competitors will be forced to lower prices on hardware to compete. :)

Shame on you deranged pc fanboys. :p

Gabkicks said:
I really hope that the xbox360 and ps3 blow away everything currently on the PC market. that means that competitors will be forced to lower prices on hardware to compete. :)

Xbox360 will come close but PS3 will blow them all away.

After watching the Sony Conference and PS3 presentation with the specs listing and what it was capable of doing there is no doubt about it. PS3 will set a new standard for next gen games.

Now back to COD2!!!

Gabkicks said:

And what do you call someone who says this:"As of right now Xbox360 looks and plays better, but once Vista comes out along with new sockets they will be on par." What is he then? Glad to know it plays so much better on xbox360 Mr. Gates jr.

Anyways, I'll be able to play this game maxed out. I doubt they will be holding back the textures and so on over the xbox360. It will probably be like q4, where they say for once they hold back nothing for console version, the reverse ain't happenning either. Even if it were more powerful, they're going to keep there art assets and all high will just be reserved for uberpowerful rigs. There have been bad ports but I don't know of any game in history devellopped for both where the PC version was the one getting the art chopping EVER.

It's a rediculous comment as presented anyways. Invite us over so we can play. Further rediculous is how you say lets not start another war when you are the one doing so. Yes, keep your console pre-realease jerking rants to the proper threads. It's tired, and most of us PC enthusiasts are just plain damn sick of it, and we know what you will say to defend your opinion too. Makes me sleepy and bored as hell just thinking about it.

Last edited:
Back