• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Bottleneck, trying to reach 4.0 ghz yet again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SgtSausage

Registered
I have had my Phenom II X4 955 BE C3 Revision for a while now, i tried before but gave up and settled with a 3800mhz clock speed and 2600 north bridge.

Recently i have been trying to get any left over performance out of this chip, as it has trouble handling Natural Selection 2. I would love to get to 4.0 or even 4.2 if possible, but do not have high expectations.
I will post as much details as possible, thanks in advance for any responses.

MOBO: MSI 870A-G55 ATX AM3 Motherboard Model: 870A-G55 (MS-7599) 5.0 Bios: V25.2 (latest)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Rev:RB-C3 3.2 GHZ Black Edition Multipler X19 (3.8 GHZ) VCore: 1.47 NB MUltipler: X 13 (2600mhz) CPU-NB Voltage: 1.35 FSB: 200
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212+
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (9-9-9-24-2T)
PSU: XFX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card (dual fan)
Sound: HD Onboard
USB: Alot. Mouse, Keyboard, Headset, all wireless, some with separate charging cable. WebCam.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case
Fans: Intake: Bottom, Front, Side
Exhaust: Rear, Top

I realize having all 4 Dimm's used puts more stress on overclocking and the north bridge. I would like to get more performance in any areas possible, some people say NB ratio has more effect on performance especially games than the clock speed itself.

Attached are my BIOS screenshots, ignore the CPU voltage in one of the screenshots, that was just for testing, actual value is stayed above ^^

Edit: Guess i can't attach, posting links in a sec.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a6e0pq1xo5vth6/2013-01-02 17.21.27.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjg6zs3ghuyuz2w/2013-01-02 17.21.48.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/823bpf9ftp4hw40/2013-01-02 17.21.59.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/44avmvqc21doa94/2013-01-02 17.22.13.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9zmu59i2bdfnfj/2013-01-02 17.22.25.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm interesting, i always stayed away from the FSB to keep things simple cause of the BE.

I guess i can try messing with that, but isn't m RAM and NorthBridge already pushed pretty far, not sure if it could handle that since i have 4 DIMM's.

Thanks for the response though, defiantly gonna follow that thread.

Edit: wait what? His FSB is still stock 200. Wish i could see his NB Freq and is Memory details. Looks to me like he just upped the Multiplier to X22, which i would love to work but cant get stable.

ok do you want max clocks from the cpu or max performance from your system?

ht link and cpu/nb=2000
ram, 1333/9-9-9-24
this was just rattling the processor, kept it all down to keep the system from working.

Well that is a good question actually, hmmm i would like to see my options i guess.

Currently my CPU is my bottleneck in games hands down. My Drives, and memory are plenty fast, and my graphics card performs adequately for my needs.

If by increasing my overall system performance, instead of maxing clock speeds would be more beneficial i guess i would choose that option.

From what i have seen from the immense amount of research i have done for this CPU, getting CPU clock to 3.8 at least and north bridge to 2600 is easy, which it was. Now the question is, should i push my NB further, or my clockspeed, or the entire FSB, (stability can be harder from what i've seen/tried).

I guess i would say FPS / smoothness is my priority, but then again pushing it further either way should help those, it's just a matter of which is better. I am not the expert, just looking or some advice. Thanks for the help!

ht link and cpu/nb=2000
ram, 1333/9-9-9-24
this was just rattling the processor, kept it all down to keep the system from working.

What do you mean?

Why would i lower the Nb to 2000, stock is 2200?
I haven't touched the HT link or the FSB, so it is still 2000.

Ram i prefer 1600, i do lots of multitasking and most of my RAM, iv know the difference's are supposedly negligible, but would i really need to lower the RAM to 1333 to clock higher. Some people manage to keep it, and pass 4.0ghz.

do you have;
cpuid hardware monitor
cpuid cpuz
prime 95?

if you are looking for better system performance we will have to raise the ht link speed and the cpu/nb speed.

hate to do this to you but, please open 3 copys of cpuz, processor tab, memory tab and spd tab.
open hardware monitor.
run 30 minutes of prime 95, blend and post the screensot.

hop in here and give me a hand kenny, your much more a memory guy than i am, my thing is cpu speed.

You dig in caddi, get those hands dirty ;) the CPU NB increase will help you're memory performance, and some Deneb's can find it tricky to run at higher than the 1333mhz that the imc is rated for, especially with all banks populated, so caddies option of lowering the divider to 1333 is a good idea and may help you gain a higher clock for you're CPU, its all about trial and error and the last few MHz are always the hardest to get (otherwise it would be no fun) caddi will look after you good and get that CPU up to 4ghz no doubt. Good luck :salute:

RAM is very important to me, hence why i have 16GB. Would it be worth dropping the speed to 1333 for performance elsewhere? I have been suggested this before, always hesitated because i love my RAM setup currently.

Thanks everyone.

Just came across this, now i am confused again.

"Originally Posted by caddi daddi
I'm not planning on benching, so what stock timings should i look for?

should i be looking at 1066 ram, that is the speed that these processors seem to perform best at?
No, they perform best at 1600-1800 and CPU-NB between 2600 and 3200.
Anyone telling you that 1600 isn't recommended or is hard to do is talking a bunch of BS.

Furthermore anyone "benching for scores" is gonna be pushing 3 GHz+ CPU-NB and up about 1866 DRAM with 6-6-6-18 timings..."

yea, confusing.............

please drop your clock to 3.9 with multi.
ram to 1333.
raise the fsb to get the cpu back up to around 4.0

in this order.

yea, confusing.............

please drop your clock to 3.9 with multi.
ram to 1333.
raise the fsb to get the cpu back up to around 4.0

in this order.

Drop to 3.9? Is is currently at 3.8....

Other than that it makes sense, thanks, will probably have to try this tomorrow though.

Also this below is kind of what i was previously trying to do, a balance between clock and NB.
caddi, it's best that you find a balance between CPU-NB clock and core clock.

4.3 GHz with a higher CPU-NB and optimized ram timings will give better overall performance than 4.4 with 2000 CPU-NB and loose and/or slow ram.

Try 4 GHz with a voltage you know will work without being excessive.

Then up the CPU-NB to 2600 and 1.25v CPU-NB. If this passes, then jump it up to 2800. Add 0.025v if needed at 2800. Let me know how that goes, don't exceed 1.325v CPU-NB.

If you can get 3 GHz CPU-NB without more than 1.325v CPU-NB, too, I'm interested in buying your chip.

@keny
New Phenom II X4 bench about 100 MHz above prime, my good 955 I killed (5.1 GHz CPU-Z cold air) only ran Cinebench at 4440 MHz when it ran prime at 4.3 with 1.54v. wPrime 4550

Back