• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Bottleneck, trying to reach 4.0 ghz yet again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
we will not be getting much higher in cpu clocks till we work the vcore down.
when you make these changes open the programs and see what has changed and run prime95 again.

The reason we say drop the ram to 1333 is you're imc is rated for that, meaning to leave the factory all it needs to do is pass 1333mhz on the imc. So, there is a method to overclocking and its do ONE thing at a time, if you had you're ram at 1600 and could not make a set CPU speed, you lower the ram to take that out of the equation of possible culprits for the failure to reach that said speed and as we know that the memory controller can do 1333 we try that speed, if it still fails then you know its not you're memory speed. Start with CPU clock first then cpu NB then memory,as cpu speed is king and always comes first.
Its all well and good beepbeep stating that this chip and that chip will do a certain clock guaranteed, well I beg to differ as I have had a 550BE that would NOT make 1600mhz ram speed and would only clock to 3.6ghz at 1.55v, every CPU is different and it all depends on the silicone,stepping,and million other variables that decide how good each CPU will eventually be.

we will make this adjustment a few times in a row, stress testing it along the way to make sure it's stable till we get the fsb to just short of 240 ,letting the fsb make all the other adjustments automagicly, we will most likely wind up around 235-237 then play the games or bench mark it.

Hope you guys didn't point this out already, I was too lazy to read all the posts. Maybe the OP should pull 2 of the sticks of ram out.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, i really appreciate it and now understand better. I totally agree starting with clock speed, then NB, then RAM is the best way to go about things, this includes lowering my RAM freq to 1333 which is fine.

I am to busy to continue tonight, but tomorrow will sure give this stuff a run and post back with results.

As for removing RAM, that is a definite no-go for me. I bought the RAM for a reason, because i use it. I'm not looking to lose functionality for performance, but instead want to ensure i am getting the most, or at least a great amount of performance out of my setup if that makes sense. I understand why you would suggest it though, and i thank you for it.

Good morning everyone.

So i dropped my CPU Multiplier from x19 to x18.5 which brought me from 3800 to 3700 like you said.
Next i dropped my ram to 1333 (left all my timing's instead of reverting to auto is that okay?)
Finally i raised my FSB up to 211 from 200, giving me a clock speed of 3903.

Running stability tests as i type, will edit this post with screenshot when time is up. Thanks

Sgt; u need to slow down in your thought process. sometimes you have to back off HT Link or NB Freq or RAM settings to find the max OC of the CPU. As you increase the FSB, the ratios set within the bios are TOO much for the HTLink or CPU NB or RAM, and it won't boot. By reducing these settings a notch, you'll still be able to run, and might find more stability. Once you reach that MAX OC you're looking for, then you can fine tune the other settings.

I also found my RAM runs faster if I downclock it and let the board set the timing via auto settings; reason being, RAM is set to DDR800 (which would normally read as 400mhz in cpuz) and has the timing of DDR800 (pretty fast; like 6-6-6) yet when loading in to windows with the huge FSB number, you'll see the RAM is really running at DDR1333 speeds with the timing of the DDR800... pretty sweet.

You want the HT Link around 2k, NB Freq around 2200, and the ram close to 1333mhz; but with these settings just a notch off, you won't really notice any REAL day to day performance notices.

You need to look around the bios for CPU NB volts and HT Link volts; i found by bumping these up just one settings i was able to OC the CPU more with less volts. (as in, it might be another voltage holding you back opposed to jamming MORE VOLTS just to the CPU

PS: post CPUz screen shots (CPU and Memory tab). you can upload them directly to the forums, so you don't have to link to them. This gives up more details sometimes.

Last edited:
Alright i see, well it crashed after like 20 min, so i tried dropping the HT and NB down a little, and brought the FSB down a few to get back to 3800.

Will get some screenshots later if stable.

Alright here is my latest test stable with screenshot.

I haven't touched my RAM timings yet, but i will next test put them to auto

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    109.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
this is good, our core temps are right on the cusp.
lets do it again. 3.8-4.0 is the sweet spot for this processor so, we want todrop the multy, up the fsb, stress test it them benchmark it.

Last edited:
1.52 is a lot of vcore for 3.8, lets reduce the vcore a click or two and give it another go.

Update:

I dropped down the CPU multiplier a few to x17
Then upped the FSB to 224 to get the clock speed back to 3800.
This put my HT back at 2000 (just over)
My NB back up to 2600 (just over)
My DRAM Freq 746 (just under 800 which was previous)

I put my RAM back to all auto, however the timings didn't really change i am not sure why, i thought stock were like 11-11-11 and 13-13-13 roughly for the different DIMM's (slot 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 are equivalent same models) Either way it is still stable.

I just ran the test before you posted again to lower the VCORE, so i will do that next, after i get a response from this test.
Should i lower my NB, memory, and HT multipliers again to ensure stability, or are we nearly done raising the FSB?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    102.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
we are going to ease our fsb on up, i expect we will end up around 240 on the fsb i like around 235-237 but have run as high as 265.

we are going to ease our fsb on up, i expect we will end up around 240 on the fsb i like around 235-237 but have run as high as 265.

Perfect I will keep working it up.

If you wouldn't mind answering my other questions I asked above ^^ to make sure I'm doing everything efficiently and accurately. Thanks

the ram timings are fine, 9-9-9-24 is 1333 ram. auto is fine for now.
the ht link speed can come on up 1 click, but will do little good.
once we get the fsb up to close to 240 I want you to start working the vcore down a little at a time, keeping it stable. this might give us another 100 mgz or so.

Back