• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Bottleneck, trying to reach 4.0 ghz yet again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you are finding that the fsb makes a few other changes to things other than the cpu, this is why early on i try to avoid it.
it scales the ram speed, cpu/nb, ht link and some less than sharp people miss this and it leaves them a little confused.
try to remember, screen freeze, dropping workers in p95 is normally vcore related.
blue screens are cpu/nb or ram related.

I was busy this weekend, haven't had time to do more tests yet.

It does make sense though, as every crash i have had as been a BSOD, so must be NB / RAM, my question is could it be their voltages, or must it be the clock speeds are too high?

I understand how the FSB works, and have been following each post by you, everyone else's input helps a lot but i guess some people don't understand the FSB fully, or have different personal preferences to overclock.

Either way thanks everyone.

Some of this and some of that...

"keny" makes good sense in post #49. He does specify that you would have to have one 'donkey' of chip not to do 4.0Ghz. Is your cpu 'braying'??

"keny" makes another good proposal in Post #57. The method I use myself since it cuts down all the hassle of getting up to speed. Set Vcore to the Max you plan to ever use. Then you don't have to worry about the Vcore while upclocking. I mean you do have your Max Vcore set instead of having to fail and maybe fail to clock up only to then finally raise the Vcore. The last time I explained it the way "keny" does, the user was up and gone within just a few Mhz of what he later overclocked his setup to. But no one wants to do it that way since they are scared. They seem to think sneaking up on a high Vcore will make it less dangerous. Not!

"caddi daddi" makes a good point in Post #61, about confusion at the outset with FSB adjusting other busses besides just cpu speed when you change it. But heck learn the way a cpu operates and then overclock. There are just thousands of pages describing AMD overclocking and most of it at least 75% worthwhile.

RGone...

try upping tyhe dram voltage by .05, i have 1.5v ram so i run it at 1.55v.
then raise the cpu/nb voltage 2 clicks.

Alright, currently i everyone on AUTO except vcore and CPU/NB.

So when you say up by .05, you don't mean up from auto, you mean up from 1.5 to 1.55v correct?

As for the CPU/NB Voltage, i previously raised it to get my NB up to 2600, i haven't touched it recently but it is at 1.346v. I assume you don't mean 2 clicks up from that, but instead from stock. I also have heard that you should never put the NB voltage above 1.3 a few places, never had a problem though, except when trying to OC further.

Maybe the NB voltage is the cause of the BSOD's, never thought about that.

"keny" makes another good proposal in Post #57. The method I use myself since it cuts down all the hassle of getting up to speed. Set Vcore to the Max you plan to ever use. Then you don't have to worry about the Vcore while upclocking. I mean you do have your Max Vcore set instead of having to fail and maybe fail to clock up only to then finally raise the Vcore. The last time I explained it the way "keny" does, the user was up and gone within just a few Mhz of what he later overclocked his setup to. But no one wants to do it that way since they are scared. They seem to think sneaking up on a high Vcore will make it less dangerous. Not!

RGone...
STILL THIS ^^^^^^^^^
Alright, currently i everyone on AUTO except vcore and CPU/NB.

So when you say up by .05, you don't mean up from auto, you mean up from 1.5 to 1.55v correct?

As for the CPU/NB Voltage, i previously raised it to get my NB up to 2600, i haven't touched it recently but it is at 1.346v. I assume you don't mean 2 clicks up from that, but instead from stock. I also have heard that you should never put the NB voltage above 1.3 a few places, never had a problem though, except when trying to OC further.

Maybe the NB voltage is the cause of the BSOD's, never thought about that.

Yep 1.55v on the dram voltage, and i would not put anymore voltage into the cpunb than you already have, i think caddi assumed you were still on stock cpunb voltage.

yes i assumed we were still at stock voltage or auto.
and we will need to see the screensot of the four monitors.

Last edited:
you should have it looking something like this

Attachments

• ffg.PNG
    ffg.PNG
    50.4 KB · Views: 29
Back