• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X6 1100T overclocking help needed past 3.8 GHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reqlez

Registered
HI.

I'm trying to overclock an X6 1100T but anything over 3.8 seems unstable atm.

Has anybody gotten a stable 24/7 overclock past 3.8 on this processor ?

Here is my current config:

Multiplier: 19
BUS: 200
HT LINK: 2200
CPUNB: 2400
CPU voltage: 1.4
CPUNB voltage: 1.225

Overclocked my G-skill 8GB ram (4x2) from 1333 to:

1600 mhz
8-8-8-24
tRC 34

I have a Crosshair IV formula mobo and using a Noctua cooler. Using arctic silver on the cpu.

Highest temp i noticed was 66 after 20 min of Prime95 100% on all cores testing.

Any help appreciated :)

EDIT: Okay didnt see this post lol http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711134

Wonder what i'm doing wrong...

HI.

I'm trying to overclock an X6 1100T but anything over 3.8 seems unstable atm.

Has anybody gotten a stable 24/7 overclock past 3.8 on this processor ?

Here is my current config:

Multiplier: 19
BUS: 200
HT LINK: 2200
CPUNB: 2400
CPU voltage: 1.4 Probably not enough vcore to get you to 4.0 ghz.
CPUNB voltage: 1.225

Overclocked my G-skill 8GB ram (4x2) from 1333 to:

1600 mhz This is not necessarily a good idea. This could be the problem.
8-8-8-24
tRC 34

I have a Crosshair IV formula mobo and using a Noctua cooler. Using arctic silver on the cpu.

Which Noctua cooler?

Highest temp i noticed was 66 after 20 min of Prime95 100% on all cores testing.

Which temp is this? Core temp or CPU temp? If it's core temp is already in the unstable range and if it's CPU temp it's probably at the threshold of being unstable. What are you using to monitor temps? What are your ambient temps?

Any help appreciated :)

EDIT: Okay didnt see this post lol http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711134

Wonder what i'm doing wrong...

Please tell us more about your system: Make and wattage of PSU. Make and model of case, video card?

You need to work on getting temperatures down before anything else. (After you help the guys out here by following RGone's instructions)

Prolimatech PK-1 is a great paste and switching to it from AS5 can help gain you 4-5c in case you don't want to replace the heatsink.

3.8 GHz @ 1.4v is very good, work on the lowest CPU-NB voltage you can manage at 2.4 GHz. If your ram is stabile at 1600 C8 (20 minutes Prime95 if on Blend setting is a good sign) then just leave it there and do the work with the CPU freq. multiplier.

okay thanks for the info so far guys ! I will collect the information and will get back to you. About the program I use for temp is called "Core Temp" and it actually got to 70C once after long testing, but didnt crash.

Last edited:
The heatsink I have looks like this :

http://www.acousticpc.com/noctua_nh-u12p-se_intel_socket_1366_quiet_cpu_cooler.html

it has 2 fans.

Looks like I got it to be stable at 3.9. Ignore the 669 mhz in the ram tab, i changed it back to 800 (1600) and it seems stable.

And here are screenshots of CPU-Z and HWMONITOR after running prime95 for 10 min
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/39p1.gif/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/39p2.gif/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/39p3.gif/

Last edited:
The link to your cooler states it is for Intel applications.

You'd better pass Prime95 blend for at least 2 hr. before you conclude you have arrived at a stable overclock.

You'd better pass Prime95 blend for at least 2 hr. before you conclude you have arrived at a stable overclock.

Okay thanks for the tip. I will run it for 2 hours and let you know.

test passed ok. The only thing is that the core temp was at 65-70 during the test.

That was at 3.9 and memory at 1600.

Thats an improvement because before i couldnt even test at 3.9.

Now... When i switch to 4.0 it crashes right away during test.

is it dangerous to increase the voltage even higher for daily use ? @ 1.45 atm if you look at the current voltage, but the voltage that i set in mobo is actually lower not sure why that is.

The voltage is higher in Windows reporting than in bios because of LLC (Load Line Calibration). It's an offset - voltage added under load to enhance stability. The genius of it is that it allows you to get by with less voltage when not heavily loading the system. The voltage you are currently at is quite safe. IMO you can go up to 1.5 vcore for 24/7 use. But I wouldn't go any higher because of your high core temps. If its stable at those temps, however, you needn't worry. They are a little shy of dangerous.

Can you attach pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD and we'll have a closer look at your settings. Do you know how to attach pics using the built in forum tool. Click on Go Advanced, then click on the paper clip tool at the top of the Advance post window and that will bring up the file browser/upload tool. First, though, crop and save the images with Windows Accessories Snipping Tool. You can attach up to three images at a time with the forum tool.

The only thing is that the core temp was at 65-70 during the test and you ask >> is it dangerous to increase the voltage even higher for daily use ? @ 1.45 atm >> Upping Vcore more will raise those already 'iffy' 65-70c Core temps and would not be really sensible. IMO. YMMV.

reqlez, we need you to create a "Sig" with your system info so that people helping you can get the info at a glance because it would travel with every post you make. Refer to mine or to RGone's for a pattern. To create a Sig click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then Edit Signature.

I'm puzzled as to why your temps are so high. That looks like a quality cooler and your vcore at 1.44 is not that high. I wonder if the cooler is making poor contact with the CPU or if the thermal paste was applied improperly. Are you experiencing high ambient temps now? I also wonder about the adequacy of your case ventilation. In your Sig, please include info about the make and model of your case and how many/how big the case fans are.

Here are the screenshots. The only difference is that the ram si at 1600 not 1333 and FSB:DRAM ratio is 1:4. I'm going to draw a picture of the airflow in a bit.

Attachments

• 3.9_P1.gif
    3.9_P1.gif
    72.1 KB · Views: 678
  • 3.9_P2.gif
    3.9_P2.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 671
  • 3.9_P3.gif
    3.9_P3.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
And here is a crappy drawing of the airflow. Please note that arrows represent the airflow of fans (direction). This is the second time i applied the thermal compound, both times temps are high. I cant really hear that CPU fans that much, but it does say 1800RPM under the screenshots that i linked in last post. Maybe i'm applying the compound incorrectly ? i tried to get it "thin" layer i dont know if u got some tips. Btw all the fans in the case are 120MM or bigger.

Attachments

• case in paint.gif
    case in paint.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 652
Case air flow looks appropriate.

Let's try the paste again. Clean the old paste off with a paper coffee filter. They have a hard sheen to them and don't leave behind insulating fibers like a lot of other materials. Cheap too! Finish the cleaning with a coffee filter moistened with a little isopropyl alocohol (rubbing alcohol, bourbon will not do).

Apply a small blob of paste in the center of the CPU, somewhere between the size of a BB and a pea. Maybe 3mm across. Don't try to spread it. Lower the cooler onto the CPU, centering it the best you can. Clamp it down! Let the clamping pressure spread the paste.

Maybe? With FX processor...

A more visual representation of what he maybe facing cooling wise. IMO.

Attachments

• bLian Side View.jpg
    bLian Side View.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 696
Case air flow looks appropriate.

Let's try the paste again. Clean the old paste off with a paper coffee filter. They have a hard sheen to them and don't leave behind insulating fibers like a lot of other materials. Cheap too! Finish the cleaning with a coffee filter moistened with a little isopropyl alocohol (rubbing alcohol, bourbon will not do).

Apply a small blob of paste in the center of the CPU, somewhere between the size of a BB and a pea. Maybe 3mm across. Don't try to spread it. Lower the cooler onto the CPU, centering it the best you can. Clamp it down! Let the clamping pressure spread the paste.

Okay. I actually did spread the thermal compound evenly across the heatsink. I'm going to remove the compound as you said and try the approach you mentioned here. Also i'm gonna check those front fans that are "air in" I did clean the case 2 days ago, but I dont remember if I checked the front fans. Btw, my ambient temps are always around 22C

Last edited:
I have a gut feeling this and a change in the oreintation of the CPU Cooler would benefit you. Then blow air thru the cooler at the exhausting rear case fan.

The NM-A90 Upgrade-Kit for NH-U12P SE2 and NH-U9B SE2 CPU coolers makes it possible to install the heatsink turned by 90° on socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 AMD motherboards. Using the NM-A90 kit thus gives AMD users more flexibility in aligning the cooler with the airflow inside their case.

Caution: The NM-A90 Upgrade-Kit is compatible with NH-U12P SE2 and NH-U9B SE2 coolers only.

nm_a90_upgrade_kit_orientation.jpg

Back