• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AB9 QuadGT Cannot install O/S - everytime boot to floppy or CD the system reboots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd be more inclined to think the board or cpu can't handle the speeds your pushing rather than the ram, try lowering the clock speed of the chip, and changing ram divider to get over 500mhz, set timings to 5-5-5, and volts to 2.2, my buddy's set does around 600 with 4-4-4 timings

toddm27 said:
I'd be more inclined to think the board or cpu can't handle the speeds your pushing rather than the ram, try lowering the clock speed of the chip, and changing ram divider to get over 500mhz, set timings to 5-5-5, and volts to 2.2, my buddy's set does around 600 with 4-4-4 timings
Already did that, buddy. :( Here's a direct quote from my notes I was taking:

==============================================================================
TESTING RAM AT 4:5 WITH 6X CPU MULTIPLIER, CPU VCORE 1.505v, VRam VARIABLE
==============================================================================

SuperPi 1M Stable 5-5-5-15-30-2T:

DUAL CORE
520MHZ with 2.35v
Could not pass at 2.2, 2.25, and 2.3v

Two instances of SuperPi 1M (one on each core) needed 2.35v to pass 520mhz 5-5-5-15-30-2T (exactly what SPD table states for timings)

So I get a 20mhz overclock with an additional .15 volts and it's only SuperPi 1M stable?

This definitely means at 500mhz on stock volts it's not gonna be prime stable... and even if it is at 500mhz and not at 501mhz... I will still RMA it... b/c 3 months from now it could become less... there's absolutely no headroom, and there should ALWAYS be with any product out there... this one doesn't really have any, and that's even IF it's stable at stock speeds (which I think it's not)

I think I tried 510mhz and needed 2.25v to pass superpi 1M...

Could it really be the board? Are there any other multipliers that I should be lowering? My CPU was set to 6x, and I had the vcore at 1.505v... the chip can do 3600mhz stable at 1.44v, so I know for sure it's not the end CPU freq that holds it back...

And the board I've gotten to so far top out around 474 fsb, and I definitely wasn't close to that on the 4:5 fsb:dram divider with 6x multi.

=(

FWIW, I was never able hit 500fsb 1:1 with my QuadGT running my x6800. I was able to hit 530fsb and 510fsb with my P5b and DFI 965 boards running the same chip and memory.

have you tried testing the ram using memtest, setting the proc to the lowest possible multiplier and then ram to 1:1, then maybe to 4:5, running 5 passes of test 5 to get a general sense of the max speed the ram can handle? Try different ram ratios because errors running high fsb speeds at 1:1 and low cpu multi might indicate that the NB is the limit, not the ram.

splat said:
have you tried testing the ram using memtest, setting the proc to the lowest possible multiplier and then ram to 1:1, then maybe to 4:5, running 5 passes of test 5 to get a general sense of the max speed the ram can handle? Try different ram ratios because errors running high fsb speeds at 1:1 and low cpu multi might indicate that the NB is the limit, not the ram.
i tried the 4:5, and 510mhz 5-5-5-15 was not superpi 1m stable until i increased voltage from 2.2 to 2.25v

i'll try to tamper with it again maybe tomorrow... won't be home tonight... going straight to gym after work, then straight to gf's to grill some chicken, watch the shield, and sleep over... then work and gym tomorrow, so i gotta wait until tomorrow late night. :( :(

in any case, i'm not too upset b/c from work i remote desktop and check my current prime stability... i'm at 7 hours blend chugging along at...
3600mhz 1.4450v, 450mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v
i'm now using core temp 0.95 instead of uguru... uguru showed 35c idle, 45c load
Core Temp:
core0 load 48-53C (keeps fluctuating... guess it depends on which test i'm on)
core1 load 48-52C
so i guess this means my load is 53c, and my idle i still haven't checked with Core Temp... my room is a little on the HOT side though b/c of the heater from this stress!!
:)

I have the same RAM as you. I remember you told me to make sure to double check that my QuadGT was giving my RAM enough voltage. I think you also said you got a blue screen or two because of inadequate RAM voltage. Well, AFAIK, our Ballistix are rated for 2.2v.

I can run mine at 2.0V (which is what the mobo gives it w/out chaning anything) and it's orthos stable overnight. So, if what I am remembering is correct, and you can't run it stable at stock speeds @ 2.0V, then it may be your RAM. Am I wrong on anything here?

youngbuck said:
I have the same RAM as you. I remember you told me to make sure to double check that my QuadGT was giving my RAM enough voltage. I think you also said you got a blue screen or two because of inadequate RAM voltage. Well, AFAIK, our Ballistix are rated for 2.2v.

I can run mine at 2.0V (which is what the mobo gives it w/out chaning anything) and it's orthos stable overnight. So, if what I am remembering is correct, and you can't run it stable at stock speeds @ 2.0V, then it may be your RAM. Am I wrong on anything here?
you got the right idea, but i manually set my ram to 2.2v... i made sure of that. :)

it must be the chipset... i haven't heard of anyone else not being able to OC their 8000 kit past 500mhz... cuz mine needs a good voltage bump to 2.35v to even hit 520mhz and that's only a measly superpi 1mb stable... there's no way i'd need that much voltage just for a 20mhz overclock which is ONLY 1mb stable.

are there any chipset voltages or something i can bump to help this out (if in fact it's the mobo)?

p.s. i gotta admit that i'm happy with my CPU at 3.6ghz 1.4450v :)

LOL, glad to hear you have it running.

What about leaving the machine on 24/7? Folding.
:)

Gonna have to give us some benchie pics pretty quick.

dudleycpa said:
And some pics of your rig so, we can all marvel at how purty she is.

Heidfirst said:
what are you running MCH at?
how are your PWM temps?

Here you go fellas!! :)

Still need to get some more lights, but she's looking nice (also have to mount the cathodes with velcro, which my gf has extra @ home that i have to yank tonight):

OpenGlow.jpg

and here's a screenshot i just took a few min ago with remote desktop from work:

3600_450_1.jpg

thanks, bro... just getting started. :) :)

i guess i need a more powerful mobo (as much as i'm loving this)... maybe p35 will be in my near future, but for sure this board is A BREEZE for OCing!!! and the lights look cool. :)

i'm wondering if i should have changed the TIM on the MOSFETs... i did take the cooler off and swap the NB chipset's pad with AS5... i was afraid to mess with the MOSFETs cuz i know those things are brittle... wasn't sure if it needed the "PAD" type TIM.

thought they're all around 80c... wonder if that's okay, or if it holds me back. i do have significant case airflow... maybe a fan on the heatsink?

oh, and which temp is the NB chipset temp... anyone know?

dudleycpa said:
Nice O/C and Temps - I'm jealous:(
:( Sorry...

my temps are b/c i spent a lot of time cleaning out and redoing my watercooling system... took EVERYTHING apart.

also, i put on LIQUID METAL tim on my e6400... i have a strong feeling that stuff is actually insanely good!! i wonder what as5 would be doing right now, but i sure as hell don't wanna take it apart. :)

i thought about lapping or frying off the IHS, but it just may not be worth it now since my CPU has more potential than the board has...

g0dM@n said:
:( Sorry...

my temps are b/c i spent a lot of time cleaning out and redoing my watercooling system... took EVERYTHING apart.

also, i put on LIQUID METAL tim on my e6400... i have a strong feeling that stuff is actually insanely good!! i wonder what as5 would be doing right now, but i sure as hell don't wanna take it apart. :)

i thought about lapping or frying off the IHS, but it just may not be worth it now since my CPU has more potential than the board has...

Don't be sorry just give us some pics of your rig to inspire others. Please:)

I wouldn't bother with the MOSFETS. Heck I haven't even tried replacing the NB chipset's thermal paste on any of the boards that I had. My stacker 830 keeps them cool with just just some crappy $3 rosewill fans :D Just try to mod some fans on them it should keep them cool.

I don't know if the P35's are gonna clock better than the P965's mine's about the same, but at lower VC, the voltage dampener feature helps alot.

I think the system temp is the North Bridge :)

dudleycpa said:
Don't be sorry just give us some pics of your rig to inspire others. Please:)
already did... do you want to see the guts with the flash for my camera on?

here:

FrontWiring.jpg

Glad to see you are up and running finally!. The strap thing with the Core 2 chips is stupid complicated compared with s939 overclocking. If you wanna try squeezing more juice fromt he chipset, you might wanna try a better NB cooling solution. I hear that the 965 chipsets get really hot. I know this helped me a lot on my s939 board. You just might be able to get closer to the 500 mark. Keep us updated.

Good Luck!

Gunlance said:
Glad to see you are up and running finally!. The strap thing with the Core 2 chips is stupid complicated compared with s939 overclocking. If you wanna try squeezing more juice fromt he chipset, you might wanna try a better NB cooling solution. I hear that the 965 chipsets get really hot. I know this helped me a lot on my s939 board. You just might be able to get closer to the 500 mark. Keep us updated.

Good Luck!
and i woulda pushed 1.6 volts to this chip without hesitation. :( i'm sure i wouldn't break 70c load, and i was willing to try it out, but oh well... not if this board can't handle the FSB. :(

back to my orthos running... i'm at my gf's and just remote desktopped... it's at about 11 hours and 40min now on blend at still the same settings at 3.6ghz. :)

but... the load temps now show 49-50C core#0, and 46-47C core#1... maybe it's cuz it's later in the day, and it got cooler in the room...

what's the max load temp that is okay for DAILY use?
what's the max load temp for benching use?

woot woot!!

Back