• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AB9 QuadGT Cannot install O/S - everytime boot to floppy or CD the system reboots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've had similar frustrations with the oc on the QuadGT and am unable to find the solution. Many claim the problem lies in the processor, but I disagree.

I will tell you this, I was finally able to break 450 FSB once I turned off all the CPU options. After which I was able to reach 480, but decided to back away and go back to my original x10 multiplier cuz the NB cooler was melting the skin off my finger. :eek:

I dont mind a decent oc while following in the steps of Al Gore at the same time. ;)

g0dM@n said:
already did... do you want to see the guts with the flash for my camera on?

here:

FrontWiring.jpg

You THE Man! Very, very impressive. Now I know what my rig is suppose to look like.

Thanks Again.

aww, thanks, brother... i'm not the man until i can figure out more about core2... i'm very annoying when it comes to asking questions, but i get all my answers here at OCF once i'm finished going on my question binge. :) that's why i love it here. i've learned the majority of my OCing here at OCF.

you should see the picture up above with it glowing... it looks awesome in the dark... and i'm planning on putting more blue cold cathode 12"ers to get a more full glowing look. the light doesn't bother me @ all except if i'm going to sleep, which is when i turn the PC off anyway... still have to neaten some stuff up... some wires were too short, so i couldn't hide them behind the mobo, but check out THE START of what it takes to make the wires neat (i used more zipties after the pic):
BackWiring.jpg

first thing, GET A DAMN FAN OVER THAT RAM! D9GMH likes fans, so theres a first big thing. if you dont give them airflow, they will die.

second thing, did you play with subtimings on that ram? it might need some tweaking, think MAL and RP on the DFI, if those were too tight, nothing good would happen.

Did you contact skou? Steve is a mod on the ABIT forum. He may have some answers. If a board is being such a PITA and BIOS updates are not forthcoming, I'd send it back.

For Intel boards, nothing beats an ASUS or an Intel. ASUS have pioneered with Intel solutions, I would not buy anything else.

If you want to get stable in the 500 fsb range, you have to put quite a bit of voltage to the northbridge, and get rid of the crappy stock t.i.m. under the northbridge heat sink and put in some good paste. Also, since you are watercooling, there is no airflow from the CPU heatsink/fan blowing on the MOSFET and northbridge heatsinks. I would rig up a couple of 80mm's or something to put some air down there.

g0dM@n said:
aww, thanks, brother... i'm not the man until i can figure out more about core2... i'm very annoying when it comes to asking questions, but i get all my answers here at OCF once i'm finished going on my question binge. :) that's why i love it here. i've learned the majority of my OCing here at OCF.

you should see the picture up above with it glowing... it looks awesome in the dark... and i'm planning on putting more blue cold cathode 12"ers to get a more full glowing look. the light doesn't bother me @ all except if i'm going to sleep, which is when i turn the PC off anyway... still have to neaten some stuff up... some wires were too short, so i couldn't hide them behind the mobo, but check out THE START of what it takes to make the wires neat (i used more zipties after the pic):

You seem to be doing very well. After five years I'll be asking YOU (and everyone else) lots of questions.

Keep up the great work - Sorry I didn't see all of this earlier I was watching The Shield.

dudleycpa said:
You seem to be doing very well. After five years I'll be asking YOU (and everyone else) lots of questions.

Keep up the great work - Sorry I didn't see all of this earlier I was watching The Shield.

OMG, another beautiful soul that watches The Shield. The VERY best show in the whole world!! :) I can't believe this season is so short, and next week is the last week. I can't WAIT to see what happens with Shane and Vic... Shane's become a complete jerk, and as much as I didn't want to see him in a bad place, I'm beginning to change my mind...

Super Nade said:
Did you contact skou? Steve is a mod on the ABIT forum. He may have some answers. If a board is being such a PITA and BIOS updates are not forthcoming, I'd send it back.

For Intel boards, nothing beats an ASUS or an Intel. ASUS have pioneered with Intel solutions, I would not buy anything else.

The board is not being a PITA at all now... it was at first (and boy was I furious), but now it's a breeze... I do want to go P35, but I may stick this board out for a bit and enjoy the 3.6ghz stability right now!!!

3600_450_1-1.jpg

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
first thing, GET A DAMN FAN OVER THAT RAM! D9GMH likes fans, so theres a first big thing. if you dont give them airflow, they will die.

second thing, did you play with subtimings on that ram? it might need some tweaking, think MAL and RP on the DFI, if those were too tight, nothing good would happen.

First thing, I do have my fan cooler that you know about (link in my sig)... but I didn't put it on b/c then I won't see the cool LEDs on the tracer heatspreaders. :( :( You really think that even at 2.2v it will help my OC? I'll try it, but I've a feeling the NB chipset is lacking me...

And, where are the subtimings??? I was looking for them myself, but didn't see any... and even if I find them, are they similar at all to how DDR works like on the DFI NF4... cuz if not, I'm gonna need the know-hows...

Rocinante said:
If you want to get stable in the 500 fsb range, you have to put quite a bit of voltage to the northbridge, and get rid of the crappy stock t.i.m. under the northbridge heat sink and put in some good paste. Also, since you are watercooling, there is no airflow from the CPU heatsink/fan blowing on the MOSFET and northbridge heatsinks. I would rig up a couple of 80mm's or something to put some air down there.

How much voltage to the northbridge?? Also, not sure if I said it in this thread (though it's getting long), but I did change the paste on the northbridge chipset. And I have tons of 60mm and 80mm fans... may just somehow squeeze in some 60mm fans, but I'll have to figure out a nice way to make it neatly mounted. I'm all about the OC while keeping the great looks!!

I never changed the thermal paste on the MOSFETs cuz I was scared that they needed the padding effect from the existing TIM on them... I guess I should have changed them... again, maybe a fan will help all of that, but the 2x120x38mm deltas on my bix2 are INTAKE from the front of the case and I think blows plenty of air for now...

So... I'll try to put the airflow on everything...

What if I cut off the heatpipe from the NB chipset and put my own chipset cooler?? Not only will the chipset be less hot with a new cooler (and fan), but the heat from the NB chipset won't get transported to the MOSFET heatsink... just a though.

The Shield - What a show. I haven't seen that kind of backstabbing and vanity since my days in the Corps. They make The Riche$ look almost normal.

Back on topic. 3.6G is my target overclock. I'm starting to think that the old 6400 & 6600 are overclocking better than the new ones. Of course the extra cache in the 6420 somewhat makes up for it.

I have a P5K on order. I don't think that the performance is that much better than your QuadGT. Maybe(?) 5% better. Not enough for me to go through the expense and effort to go to a P5K. Of course others my disagree with me and I respect that.:)

dudleycpa said:
The Shield - What a show. I haven't seen that kind of backstabbing and vanity since my days in the Corps. They make The Riche$ look almost normal.

Back on topic. 3.6G is my target overclock. I'm starting to think that the old 6400 & 6600 are overclocking better than the new ones. Of course the extra cache in the 6420 somewhat makes up for it.

I have a P5K on order. I don't think that the performance is that much better than your QuadGT. Maybe(?) 5% better. Not enough for me to go through the expense and effort to go to a P5K. Of course others my disagree with me and I respect that.:)
True, but 5% to an OCer is Godly!! lol

But I've gone through so much with this board to get it going that I kinda feel like I might as well just use it...

Though, my ram should be pushing much, much more than this...

P.S. So sad that Vic tried to take the turn for the better, and Shane is screwing it up... remember when the old-timer (the tall, african american dude that's friends with Vic who was an ex-cop - I think it's the same guy from Rocky, the boxer champ that Rocky beat and became buddies with... who dies in Rocky 4)... well a few episodes ago he (man what's his name!!) wanted help from Vic to get those jerks out of the apartment complex... Vic did NOT wanna do it... you can tell he's trying to be better... I feel so bad that he just can't get things right anymore.

and how crazy was the beat-down on the mexicans!!! WOW!!!

Last edited:
g0dM@n said:
True, but 5% to an OCer is Godly!! lol

But I've gone through so much with this board to get it going that I kinda feel like I might as well just use it...

Though, my ram should be pushing much, much more than this...

Yes, to a OCer 5% is a lot. I knew I was heading into "rough seas" with that statement. In real world what would it get you? 1~2fps better in games? To a professional gamer it might be life and death but, to the rest of the world I doubt it.

damn i couldn't get to my edit in time for you to see my "P.S."... what's the big, black dude's name (older than Vic - maybe 60-65?)... the old-timer that's friends with Vic? my gf couldn't remember ever seeing him, but he was in an earlier season... I'm not sure of his true affiliation with Vic, though... do you? Did they work together a long time ago or something?

g0dM@n said:
damn i couldn't get to my edit in time for you to see my "P.S."... what's the big, black dude's name (older than Vic - maybe 60-65?)... the old-timer that's friends with Vic? my gf couldn't remember ever seeing him, but he was in an earlier season... I'm not sure of his true affiliation with Vic, though... do you? Did they work together a long time ago or something?

I'll have to ask my g/f who he is. She got me hooked on it just recently. I look at TV Tome when I get a chance.

dudleycpa said:
I'll have to ask my g/f who he is. She got me hooked on it just recently. I look at TV Tome when I get a chance.
dude, you gotta get the seasons on DVD... I have Seasons 1 thru 4... still have to get Season 5 (last year)...

I still can't believe how short they cut this one. :(

Anyway, I'm gonna see if I can push 475fsb... that's RIGHT where the board starts to crap out I think...

g0dM@n said:
dude, you gotta get the seasons on DVD... I have Seasons 1 thru 4... still have to get Season 5 (last year)...

I still can't believe how short they cut this one. :(

An eggcellent idea? The g/f would love that! This season was SHORT!

G/L with 475.:)

I'm having some problems with my QuadGT board now as well. Although for me, the board was working 100% at first and started to trip up later on.

I have a feeling condensation may have caused some problems when I was on sub zero. Now when I'm on air, I can install Windows and everytime I reboot and go to load Windows it says its corrupted (although its a brand new install).

So right now, I have two non-functioning motherboards for C2D :p

wa77ss said:
I'm having some problems with my QuadGT board now as well. Although for me, the board was working 100% at first and started to trip up later on.

I have a feeling condensation may have caused some problems when I was on sub zero. Now when I'm on air, I can install Windows and everytime I reboot and go to load Windows it says its corrupted (although its a brand new install).

So right now, I have two non-functioning motherboards for C2D :p

Stuff like this really scares me off phase. I hemmed and hawwed for days when your unit was in the classifieds. If I could find a 775 Easy Mod kit I might not be such a chicken. Sorry for your loss.

Back