• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 Can you check my work..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't install turbo V or EPU-6 this time around. It seemed that the turbo V didn't work, and I didn't think I needed the EPU-6. Should I have these installed?

It's not important...but that's the only way I'd know of to verify the stock QPI/DRAM voltage ;)

I turned on speedstep and still saw the fluctuating. Then I put everything back to auto / stock speeds and noticed it does the same thing so maybe that is normal and I never noticed it before. Tonight I will put the setting back and lower the QPI/DRAM core voltage. Is there a way to see what this usually is at stock speeds?

Also can someone explain the Vcore vs CPU usage in the occt vcore chart.

Go into the control panel, change the power options to 'Balanced'. This will stop making it fluctuate so much. On idle its only supposed to stay low, not changing unless you have something else running in the background. I'm 100% sure this will cure the problem if its doing that on idle.

For the QPI/DRAM - this setting is really sensitive. You want to keep this low or set it to AUTO until you get a balanced overclock (my suggestion).

Vcore in OCCT is just the voltage being used by the CPU while under stress. Its usually very accurate. For instance, if you set the vcore to 1.23v, it may jump to 1.24v or 1.25v depending on the stress test. OCCT is just reporting what voltage is being used at the time of testing. The usage is pretty much the same, only its telling you how much of the CPU is being taxed while under stress. For instance, you can set the test to Medium and maybe 2 cores can run at 100% while the other 2 are running at 50%. It fluctuates during testing...but OCCT is again trying to give you the most updated accurate results.

Ok so this is the latest

First I went to the x.m.p. profile and copied the memory info down and transposed that into my manual settings.

CPU Ratio 22
Intel Speed Step Disabled
BCLK Frequency 160
PCIE Frequency 100
DRAM Frequency DDR3- 1604MHz
UCLK Frequency 3207 MHz
QPI Link Data Ratio 5774 MT/s

CPU Voltage 1.24375
CPU PLL Voltage 1.80
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1.3
IOH Voltage 1.1
IOH PCIE Voltage 1.5
ICH Voltage 1.1
ICH PCIE Voltage 1.5
Dram bus Voltage 1.66
Dram Data Rev Voltage on CHA Auto
Dram CTRL Rev Voltage on CHA Auto
Dram Data Rev Voltage on CHB Auto
Dram CTRL Rev Voltage on CHB Auto
Dram Data Rev Voltage on CHC Auto
Dram CTRL Rev Voltage on CHC Auto

Load Line Calibration Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude Auto
CPU Clock Skew Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum Disabled
IOH Clock Skew Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum Disabled

So far the system is running pretty good I am going to do another OCCT test later.

So everything has been running good for the past day no issues. I am idling at 42 39 40 37, is it worth trying to tweak anymore? I have been playing battle field bad company 2, and it's running flawlessly. I had mount & blade warband crash on me twice but I think that was a bug in the game.

I might look into some water cooling from danger den, most likely just the cpu. It would be cool to put a water block on my 470, however I would rather put that cash towards a 2nd card in the future.

My computer seems to be working fine when I test it under load, during game play and normal use. However when I just let it sit idle for a while it seems to go to sleep, and it will not wake up. When I restart it fails to run my bios settings and says there is an issue overclocking. It did this twice yesterday, and ideas what would cause it to crash like that on idle? Temps are in the high 30's low 40's.

I think the problem might be with my power settings.

Currently they are set defualt as

Suspend Mode Auto
Repost Video On S3 Resume No
ACPI 2.0 Support Disabled
ACPI APIC Support Enabled

Can someone help me out with these settings, and what is S1, and S3?

Thanks

So everything has been running good for the past day no issues. I am idling at 42 39 40 37, is it worth trying to tweak anymore? I have been playing battle field bad company 2, and it's running flawlessly. I had mount & blade warband crash on me twice but I think that was a bug in the game.

I might look into some water cooling from danger den, most likely just the cpu. It would be cool to put a water block on my 470, however I would rather put that cash towards a 2nd card in the future.
I wouldn't worry about water cooling until you've maxed out the OC with your current cooling ;)

My computer seems to be working fine when I test it under load, during game play and normal use. However when I just let it sit idle for a while it seems to go to sleep, and it will not wake up. When I restart it fails to run my bios settings and says there is an issue overclocking. It did this twice yesterday, and ideas what would cause it to crash like that on idle? Temps are in the high 30's low 40's.
If you don't want it to go to sleep, disable sleep in the Windows power settings. If you have hibernate enabled....DISABLE IT! I've always had poor results with hiberation while overclocking :(

No, they should be fine....Windows has full control over that stuff and does fine :thup:

I changed it to S3 Only and it works perfectly now. I also added a second fan to my hyper 212 and temps look good so I may bump up the oc

I am happy with my oc right now but I want to push for more, I am blaming all of you for this. Anyway I am stable where I am at now so, but I have noticed that on average my voltages seem higher than others. So I have 3 questions

1. Should I lower voltages until I find where I am unstable and than raise so I am at the lowest possible stable voltage.
2. If I want to raise my OC should I Start over fresh like in the manual and find my highest bclk first?
3. Since you can basically get the same results by adjusting your bclk and multiplier, is it better to have a high multiplier and lower bclk or vice versa, or does it not mater? Any advantages of using a 21 multiplier instead of 22, I thought i read somewhere where 21 is more stable on the 930.

Thanks for all your help.

I changed it to S3 Only and it works perfectly now. I also added a second fan to my hyper 212 and temps look good so I may bump up the oc
Hummm....interesting :thup:

I am happy with my oc right now but I want to push for more, I am blaming all of you for this. Anyway I am stable where I am at now so, but I have noticed that on average my voltages seem higher than others. So I have 3 questions

1. Should I lower voltages until I find where I am unstable and than raise so I am at the lowest possible stable voltage.
2. If I want to raise my OC should I Start over fresh like in the manual and find my highest bclk first?
3. Since you can basically get the same results by adjusting your bclk and multiplier, is it better to have a high multiplier and lower bclk or vice versa, or does it not mater? Any advantages of using a 21 multiplier instead of 22, I thought i read somewhere where 21 is more stable on the 930.

Thanks for all your help.

I'll have to get back to you, I'm tied up at MOA right now :D

I tried for 4.2 tonight I got close

I tested everything according to the manual and was stable up to 190 BCLK @ 1.2 Vcore

Once I hit 200 I was getting the BSOD.
Everytime I increased voltage I just slowing pushed off the BSOD, Started before windows started, to before Log In screen, Durring Login in Screen, Intel Burn Test, 1 Succesfull test. Thats where I left off, 1.35V and a BSOD after 1 Burn Test complete still had 2 to go.

Currently back at my safe spot of 22x 160 until I can play with it tomorrow.

Approx max temps during the test was 87, 85, 85, 79

CPU Ratio 21
Intel Speed Step Disabled
BCLK Frequency 200
PCIE Frequency 100
DRAM Frequency DDR3- 1603MHz
UCLK Frequency 3208 MHz
QPI Link Data Ratio 7218 MT/s

CPU Voltage 1.35
CPU PLL Voltage 1.8
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1.35
IOH Voltage 1.2
IOH PCIE Voltage 1.5
ICH Voltage 1.1
ICH PCIE Voltage 1.5
Dram bus Voltage 1.66
Dram Data Rev Voltage on CHA Auto
Dram CTRL Rev Voltage on CHA Auto
Dram Data Rev Voltage on CHB Auto
Dram CTRL Rev Voltage on CHB Auto
Dram Data Rev Voltage on CHC Auto
Dram CTRL Rev Voltage on CHC Auto

Load Line Calibration Enable
CPU Differential Amplitude Auto
CPU Clock Skew Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum Disable
IOH Clock Skew Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum Disable

A little bit more vcore from 1.35 and you should be able to achieve it.

Try these settings below on AUTO (set these manually when you're at high bclk)
QPI Link Data Ratio 7218 MT/s
IOH Voltage 1.2
IOH PCIE Voltage 1.5
ICH Voltage 1.1
ICH PCIE Voltage 1.5

Personally, I would use PCIE Frequency 101

What's your current rams timings?

Well I bumped up the Voltage a little bit more to 1.375 and I Passed the 3 Intel Burn Tests a Max. Max Temps were 92 - 92 - 88 - 82.

4.2.jpg

Settings
E= Enabled
D=Disabled
A=Auto
-=N/A

AI Overclock Tuner [Manual]
CPU Ratio [21]
Intel Speed Step [D]
Intel Turbo Mode Tech [-]
BCLK Frequency [200]
PCIE Frequency [100]