• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 Can you check my work..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For IBT....you must manually set it as 8 threads...not on AUTO
(Auto tests only 4 threads....you can check by looking in the task manager)

Though, I would use Prime personally just to be sure and see that 8 threads are being tested.

As you move on higher bclk or near ram's limitation.....some rams might not be as stable as rated.
One's might think it was stable...but an occasional BSOD might occurs due to ram setting.

You can try loosen it a little...(wouldn't hurt your performance unless you're doing some high speed benching)
Try 888-20 or 888-24 or 898-20

Last edited:
I will run occt and memtest later, how are the temps? They seem pretty decent for air. So far so only odd thing was mount and blade crashing.

I tried running IBT with 8 cores and it failed towards the end of the first run, and I was seeing my max temps around 96 c. Temps were to high for my liking, I dropped back down to stock speeds, might bump it back up to my 3.5ghz. However it looks like if I am going to push it more I should really invest in some water cooling.

I have been trying to push my OC a little bit more and I have been running into some problems. Now I am going to start fresh again with the guide, but I have some questions.

1. I have 1600 ddr3 memory and I have been tying to stick with 160, and 200 as the bclk so that way my target with the multiplier I end up with 1600. Should I limit myself to this or go with a number that gives me a higher oc but lower overall memory speed?

2. When you mention tighten up timings what do you mean. Mine is 7 8 7 20, would that mean set them as 7 7 7 20?

So far I have myself back up to 3.99ghz I did not run an hour test yet as I want to start to push closer to 200 bclk.

I started fresh dropping my multiplier down to 15, and my memory down to 6x.
I was able to get my bclk up to 200 with no issues and was able to keep my qpi/dram voltage at 1.2. I the only test I ran with this was the IBT (3 passes @ max with 8 cores)

Then I raised my memory multiplier to 8 and worked my way up to 200 bclk. Again I remained stable with IBT, this time when I was done, I ran memtest86 with no issues, and 1 hour with OCCT. Again no issues.

After that I changed my multiplier to 21 and started at 160 bclk and worked my way up testing with IBT. When I got to 190 I had to move my Voltage up from 1.2 to 1.3.

Currently I am at 1.3 V, 190 bclk, I plan to start moving up slowly now with 2mhz. Current Idle temps are across the cores are 42 - 38. With max temps hitting 87.

These are my current settings

AI Overclock Tuner [Manual]
CPU Ratio [21]
Intel Speed Step [Disable]
BCLK Frequency [190]
PCIE Frequency [100]
Dram Frequency [1523]
UCLK Frequency [3047]
QPI Link Data Ratio [6857 mts]

CPU Voltage [1.3]
CPU PLL Voltage [1.8]
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage [1.2]
IOH Voltage [1.2]
IOH PCIE Votage [1.5]
ICH Voltage [1.1]
ICH PCIE Voltage [1.5]
Dram Bus Voltage [1.66]

Load-Line Callibration [Enable]
CPU Differential Amplitude [Auto]
CPU Clock Skew [Auto]
CPU Spread Spectrum [Auto]
IOH Clock Skew [Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Auto]

C1E Support [Disable]
Hardware Prefectcher [Enable]
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch [Enable]
Intel Virtualization Tech [Enable]
CPU TM Function [Enable]
Execute-Disable Bit [Enable]
Intel HT Technology [Enable]
Active Processor Cores [ALL]
A20M [Disable]
Intel C-State [Disable]

Last edited:
Nice bench program there, never even knew bout it.... did same run as you, only difference is Im using 1920 x 1200 rez and 4.01 OC @ 1.27v. Same gfx card as you, 470, had a heck of a time trying to OC it even the SLIGHTEST, program is reaaaalll touchy, had to keep all core and shader speeds @ stock settings!! what about you?? anyway, here's the link: (wonder what it would've been if i'd ran it at your rez??)

Unigine
Heaven Benchmark v2.1FPS: 29.6
Scores: 747
Min FPS: 17.3
Max FPS: 70.3

HardwareBinary: Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1500 Release May 21 2010
Operating system: Windows 7 (build 7600) 64bit
CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz
CPU flags: 4009MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 HTT
GPU model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 8.17.12.5896 1280Mb

SettingsRender: direct3d11
Mode: 1920x1200 fullscreen
Shaders: high
Textures: high
Filter: trilinear
Anisotropy: 4x
Occlusion: enabled
Refraction: enabled
Volumetric: enabled
Replication: disabled
Tessellation: extreme

Unigine Corp. © 2005-2010

Obersturmfuhrer my monitor will not support 1920x1200. Here are my results with my current setup. http://www.aperturenj.com/comp/unigine2.html
For some reason when the benchmark ends windows pops up a message that it wants to lower my aero settings because My system is slow. This has never happened before, anyone else experience this?

Surprisingly this current run has been the best benchmark and its at one of the lowest OC's.

Actually I find that 3.36 seems to be the sweet spot for my system so I am going to stop trying to push for more.
I have a question for everyone, I was always running with qpi /dram voltage at 1.35v, mainly because that was what the xmp profile. However I find that I am stable with 1.2 so I am leaving the voltage at 1.2, as I still fall within the .5 buffer for the dram bus voltage. Do you agree?

Also I posted the wrong voltage settings in post #45 I updated them.

Last edited:
I changed things around and bumped myself up to a nice stable 3.8

Im still hitting a wall going to 4 but I think there is a little bit more room for me to bump voltages but Im def at the limits of my Hyper 212. I had my cpu voltage up to 1.35 and I was still crashing.

By the way below are my current settings should I leave my QPI/Dram Core at 1.2? Like I said my system runs fine, but i did notice that the xmp profile bumps it up to 1.35.

CPU Ratio [19]
BCLK Frequency [200]
PCIE Frequency [100]
Dram Frequency [1603]
UCLK Frequency [3208]
QPI Link Data Ratio [7218 mts]

CPU Voltage [1.2]
CPU PLL Voltage [1.8]
IOH Voltage [1.2]
IOH PCIE Votage [1.5]
ICH Voltage [1.1]
ICH PCIE Voltage [1.5]
Dram Bus Voltage [1.66]

CPU Clock Skew [Disable]
IOH Clock Skew [Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disable]

C1E Support [Disable]
CPU TM Function [Enable]
A20M [Disable]
Intel C-State [Disable]

So I have been stable for about 5 days. Browsing the internet, Playing starcraft 2, Crysis in High settings, system works fine. I setup FAH smp yesterday and ran it all night and day, that worked. Then I installed FAH for GPU and ran them both at the same time CPU load was only 13% and I got the BSOD. Then later I was only running smp and browsing the internet and I got a bsod, again only 13% cpu load. Should I change anything? I was just playing Crysis and had SMP running as a test and it worked fine.

Any reason why i can't set the dram voltage to 1.65 in manual? I can do 1.64 and lower and 1.66 and higher, but when i type 1.65 it makes it 1.66 automatically?

If your board is anything like mine (ASUS X58 sabertooth) there is a jumper for 1.65v on the mobo, if you want 1.65v you will need to set DRAM overvolt.

I changed things around and bumped myself up to a nice stable 3.8

Im still hitting a wall going to 4 but I think there is a little bit more room for me to bump voltages but Im def at the limits of my Hyper 212. I had my cpu voltage up to 1.35 and I was still crashing.

By the way below are my current settings should I leave my QPI/Dram Core at 1.2? Like I said my system runs fine, but i did notice that the xmp profile bumps it up to 1.35.

CPU Ratio [19]
BCLK Frequency [200]
PCIE Frequency [100]
Dram Frequency [1603]
UCLK Frequency [3208]
QPI Link Data Ratio [7218 mts]

CPU Voltage [1.2]
CPU PLL Voltage [1.8]
IOH Voltage [1.2]
IOH PCIE Votage [1.5]
ICH Voltage [1.1]
ICH PCIE Voltage [1.5]
Dram Bus Voltage [1.66]

CPU Clock Skew [Disable]
IOH Clock Skew [Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disable]

C1E Support [Disable]
CPU TM Function [Enable]
A20M [Disable]
Intel C-State [Disable]

I dunno why ur having such a hard time with getting a 4 GHz OC... For me it's extremely simple..BCLK @ 200, w/ multi of 20, 2x2=4Ghz, and you get to utilize your max ramspeed @ 1600. My vCore is extremely low, I got mine stable @ 1.24375v.

I also have LLC enabled, and I have all power saving features on as well, along with HT. Everything else I have set to AUTO, with XMP profile. Timings are the nothing-fancy 9-9-9-24. Idle temp is 40C. Have Corsair H50 cooling w/ push/pull configuration. Max temps reach mid 80's during LinX 20 test. Obviously this is just for benching, in real-word sceanrio (such as graphically-demanding games) temps hit max 73-75C after a few hrs of gameplay (mafia II, GoW, Crysis, etc)..

So this works for me.. Some might say temps are a bit high but I've tried everything and they always seem to stay around the aforementioned. I even RETURNED my i7 930 processor for a new one, AND exchanged the H50 for a new one, and temps still the same. Remounted cooling block several times but always same results. But oh well, everything's working and Intel themselves say 100C is the limit, which I am well below.

Whats the latest with your OC??

By the way, just for the heck of it I tried a 4.2Ghz OC, simply by raising the multi by 1, so 21x @ 200 Blck = 4.2 Ghz. Howver, I had to increase the vCore to almost 1.3 to get it stable, at which point it was idling a few degrees higher, and for the slight performance boost it gives (a couple hundred or so points more in 3dMark06) I figured it just wasn't worth it so Im sticking with my good ol' simple 4 Ghz OC.

Right now I am back to running 3.36. I was running 3.8 for 2 weeks with no issues, I started folding and noticed my system was crashing I raised my vcore up to 2.125 and that fixed things. However the other day my friend was playing BBC2 my computer just crashed out of the blue, not sure why no BSOD just a restart. So I ended up dropping it back down to 3.36.

I may go back to 3.8, but I def can not get a stable 4 with 20x200 my temps are to high even with 1.35v I am crashing. But I am only cooling with a hyper 212+. I will have to look into alternative cooling like an h70 or custom water.

Right now I am back to running 3.36. I was running 3.8 for 2 weeks with no issues, I started folding and noticed my system was crashing I raised my vcore up to 2.125 and that fixed things. However the other day my friend was playing BBC2 my computer just crashed out of the blue, not sure why no BSOD just a restart. So I ended up dropping it back down to 3.36.

I may go back to 3.8, but I def can not get a stable 4 with 20x200 my temps are to high even with 1.35v I am crashing. But I am only cooling with a hyper 212+. I will have to look into alternative cooling like an h70 or custom water.

Vcore at 2.125??! is that a typo?? I don't even think you can put ur voltage that high!! 1.4v is considered pretty high bro, let alone 2.125..

If i remember correctly we have bascially the same setup, I got i7 930 w/ Rampage II Extreme MB, 6GB tri channel 1600Mhz RAM... If you want I can copy my BIOS settings for the stable 4.0 OC and perhaps you could give it a go.. but as far as the cooling issues, yeah, I would look into other alternatives than the one u got.. I have the H50 and it seems to work pretty efficiently.. I hear these stories of peeps running 24 hr torture test @ 4Ghz OC and H50 cooling, and never passing ~73C temp... I dunno how they do it, my temps soar to 80C's then tend to hover or go no more than that... Like i said, I idle around 40-41C, which i think is acceptable, but then again I think i have my vcore at its absolutely lowest to achieve a stable 4G OC... I've tried re-mounting H50, even returned the one I had for a new one, yet same temp results.. I've just learned to accept the fact that the i7 runs hot and there's nothing one can do about it (other than implementing a more sophisticated all-out water cooling system, other than the H50 or H70.)

Do your research when it comes to either the H50 or 70, I believe they yeild very similar results, and for another 30-40 bucks it may not be worth a few degrees lower, ya know?

Ne way, contrary to what most ppl will tell you, AUTO's seem to work fine for me, along with the XMP profile setting with my AsusTEK MB..

yeah i meant 1.2125

I was running this stable at the 3.8
CPU Voltage [1.2]
CPU PLL Voltage [1.8]
IOH Voltage [1.2]
IOH PCIE Votage [1.5]
ICH Voltage [1.1]
ICH PCIE Voltage [1.5]
Dram Bus Voltage [1.66]

but like I said with folding it required a bit more power so i bumped it up to 1.2125 which worked fine. I also bumped up my qpi to 1.35

Oh and here was the my heaven benchmark with sli http://www.aperturenj.com/comp/SLi.html

I saw it, results are a bit skewed because if you run it at a super-low res (not that you did, im just saying) you're gonna score high.. I have all settings exactly the same as urs but res @ 1920x1200, here was result:
FPS: 43.8
Scores: 1104
Min FPS: 22.0
Max FPS: 86.4

Give it another go at 1920. Or is that ur monitor's highest rez? If so you should consider investing in a new monitor kuz with ur powerful rig ur really limiting its capability with a low-res monitor.

That's still nonetheless a really good score, do you have ur GTX OC'd? If so, what numbers u using?? Also, before you said that once u hit a 4Ghz OC your temps are too high... What do they hit exactly?

Yup thats the max of my monitor, any suggestions for a brand I have been looking into them, I def want hdmi in though.

Yup thats the max of my monitor, any suggestions for a brand I have been looking into them, I def want hdmi in though.

Umm yeah SAMSUNG makes affordable, technologically superior products, at least I think. never heard anything bad about a Samsung. They make good monitors if nothing else.

Reached 4.2 today after going to water. I was stable with 3 runs of IBT at max with 8 cores. I will have to see how the computer handles during normal use. Voltage was bumped up to 1.35625

ibt42.jpg

These are the results of my previous OC.
(930 oc to 3.8, 1.225V)

10-30-01%20Idle.jpg

After Playing a couple minutes in crysis Normally GPU temps would be in the mid 80's to 90's.

10-30-01%20After%20crysis.jpg

Back