• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My chipset holding me back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sevin7

I have a p4 2.4 @ 3.4 (283 fsb), it runs 3.4 stable for 18 hours in prime 95 torture test. I can get it to boot @ 3.6 but only stable until i stress the cpu. I tired to get my cpu to 3.6 a few weeks ago when it was 20F outside, and i had a window fan blowing in my room and cpu was idle @ 12c. It is normaly idle around 25-30c depending on temp outside. Anyways the point is it wouldnt stay stable @ 3.6 any longer than it would before, a cpu at 12c wasnt stable , is my chipset on my asus p4p800-e deluxe holding back my oc or does 2.4s not like to hit 3.6?

its possible its your chipset but it may also be something with your memory config or you hitting a wall with said cpu. what error/errors do you get when you stress the cpu @ 3.6 with prime? and have you tried to run the prime @ 3.6 with a lower divisor or looser timings on the memory?

reason i ask is with your colder ambient temp dropping your cpu temps its also dropping your chipsets and memories temps as well which should cause them to perform slightly better. If your not seeing any gains whatsoever id be more prone to thinking that youve just hit a wall with something or have your memory running out of whack possibly.

another thing to try would be to up your vagp and see what that does. its a good way to check your chipset if you suspect its the weakest link so to speak.

i know it is not my ram, becuase my ram runs stable @ 452mhz, and just for testing reasons when i booted at 3.6 i clocked my ram under 400mhz

Back