• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Help] Overclocking AMD Phenom ll x6 1055t on gigabyte m68mt-s2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ricko

Registered
Hi everyone! I've just arrived to these forums and I'm looking for some help to overclock my processor.

It seems that I cant get my CPU even to 2.9 (stock 2.8) without getting a warning from the bios saying:

"Warning! Now system is now in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup."

to get started I'll put my PC specs so you can tell me how much can I overclock my cpu, or tell me what am I doing wrong.

Motherboard: Gigabyte, model "m68mt-s2"
Cpu: AMD Phenom ll x6 1055t 2.8 Ghz
Ram: 8 Gb kingston 1333hz (two sticks with dual channel)
Gpu: Xfx ATI Radeon 5670 1 gb gddr5
Psu: Qori 500w (generic)
Case: Overcase, model "OV-811"
Cpu Cooling: Stock cooler
Extra Cooling: One fan cooler on the case, one Pci-slot fan cooler, and one HDD fan cooler.

In my opinion the main problems are the PSU, the stock fan and the mobo, (a little).

I'll be expecting an answer soon, thanks. :)

Welcome to OC Forums, Ricko!

What is the TDP (Total Design Power) of that motherboard? You are combining a 125W TDP 6 core CPU with a lower end motherboard and I would not recommend trying to overclock it at all. The board is not up to it.

Have you checked core temps and CPU socket temps yet while stress testing the thing with 20 minutes of Prime95 blend with HWMonitor open in the background? I would strongly suggest that.

Welcome to OC Forums, Ricko!

What is the TDP (Total Design Power) of that motherboard? You are combining a 125W TDP 6 core CPU with a lower end motherboard and I would not recommend trying to overclock it at all. The board is not up to it.

Well, Cpu-z says the max TDP is 130w if that what you mean, also this motherboard supports the cpu, It doesn't give any problems the wattage is ok, the socket too, (It appears in the compatibility list of the motherboard) it's just that the mobo is a cheap one, works by default with a Vcore of 1.475, (I lowered it to V1.3 and it's still fine)

The only bad thing i see is that this motherboard only allows to set the HT link multiplier to a maximum of X5.

Have you checked core temps and CPU socket temps yet while stress testing the thing with 20 minutes of Prime95 blend with HWMonitor open in the background? I would strongly suggest that.

Yes, It doesn't past the 45 Cº, I used Core damage (I guess that test is enough) to stress the Cpu and was still fine.

Playing with the bios I managed to get up to 3.1 Ghz, with not much temperature, but it wasn't really stable, before I got 3.0 Ghz and stable, but with a very low HT link.

Last edited:
The problem is going to be when you go to add voltage to the CPU cores ("vcore") to stabilize the overclock. When you do that you ramp up the power draw and the heat. And by the way, software calculations of TDP are not reliable.

As you have already found out, the chipset of your motherboard will severly limit your HT Link frequency. That may or may not cause a huge performance hit, depending on what kind of apps you run on the machine. Low HT Link can adversely affect Hard Disk performance and grahpics/PCI-e performance.

I'm not familiar with "Core Damage" but I can tell you the standard software tools we use around here to stress and monitor our overclocks are: "CPU-z", "HWMonitor" and "Prime95". If you choose not to use them you will make it difficult for us to help you because we won't be on the same page with you.

The problem is going to be when you go to add voltage to the CPU cores ("vcore") to stabilize the overclock. When you do that you ramp up the power draw and the heat. And by the way, software calculations of TDP are not reliable.

As you have already found out, the chipset of your motherboard will severly limit your HT Link frequency. That may or may not cause a huge performance hit, depending on what kind of apps you run on the machine. Low HT Link can adversely affect Hard Disk performance and grahpics/PCI-e performance.

I'm not familiar with "Core Damage" but I can tell you the standard software tools we use around here to stress and monitor our overclocks are: "CPU-z", "HWMonitor" and "Prime95". If you choose not to use them you will make it difficult for us to help you because we won't be on the same page with you.

I want to do an overclock without adding more voltage to the cpu, just to see how much I can get with it , it's just that it's not posible the PC can't stand a miserable change on the FSB from 200 to 205 without showing the error, there has to be a way of getting at least +1 Ghz stable without voltage-adding, and stock cooler.

I've got the two first programs, I used prime95 but I left it because It wasn't using 100% of the cpu, with CoreD I couldn't even move the pointer smoothly (It pushed all my cores to 100%),

maybe I wasn't using prime95 correctly, I can download it anytime now.

The only bad thing i see is that this motherboard only allows to set the HT link multiplier to a maximum of X5.

With X5 the only HT link it would seem the board does not know it has a later design cpu in it.

You also said that it is a cheap0 motherboard and I looked at the board on GIGA site and it has only 3+1 phase VRM circuit and that is not nearly enough to sustain a continued heavy duty overclock. Plus there is not a heat sink of any sort on the 3+1 VRM circuit.

The GIGA site says the 1055T in the 95Watt version is the only one supported using bios version FA and not the 125Watt version 1055T and here am referring to the Rev 3.1 of that motherboard and not the earlier Rev 1.3.

It looks to me like you will not nor should push much more of that 3.0 overclock you say you have gotten. Up the voltage to the cpu and be happy since it may not ruin the board at that speed.

With X5 the only HT link it would seem the board does not know it has a later design cpu in it.

You also said that it is a cheap0 motherboard and I looked at the board on GIGA site and it has only 3+1 phase VRM circuit and that is not nearly enough to sustain a continued heavy duty overclock. Plus there is not a heat sink of any sort on the 3+1 VRM circuit.

The GIGA site says the 1055T in the 95Watt version is the only one supported using bios version FA and not the 125Watt version 1055T and here am referring to the Rev 3.1 of that motherboard and not the earlier Rev 1.3.

It looks to me like you will not nor should push much more of that 3.0 overclock you say you have gotten. Up the voltage to the cpu and be happy since it may not ruin the board at that speed.

¿So this means the ONLY way of getting a descent OC is by buying a better Mobo? :eh?:

What version of Prime95 were you using? Maybe you got an older version that came out before the 6 core CPUs. I can assure you, Prime95 blend test stresses all of my 6 core Thuban to the max.

¿So this means the ONLY way of getting a descent OC is by buying a better Mobo? :eh?:

¿Why would you not think that to be the situation? Little existing VRM circuit for clean power handling to the cpu under load. No heatsink of the VRM circuit. And a very very dated Nvidia chipset on the motherboard. Nvidia has not released a new chipset for AMD or any other cpu type in nearly 4 years now.

What version of Prime95 were you using? Maybe you got an older version that came out before the 6 core CPUs. I can assure you, Prime95 blend test stresses all of my 6 core Thuban to the max.

No idea, probably I should download another version that gets the 6 cores.

¿Why would you not think that to be the situation? Little existing VRM circuit for clean power handling to the cpu under load. No heatsink of the VRM circuit. And a very very dated Nvidia chipset on the motherboard. Nvidia has not released a new chipset for AMD or any other cpu type in nearly 4 years now.

Ooooookey.... :eh?: so what should I do?

Ooooookey.... :eh?: so what should I do?

I guess you could relax your expectations and run the board at near stock like most I saw that seemed to have no issues. OR buy a better motherboard and probably ram since your cpu is not upward multiplier unlocked. .

I guess you could relax your expectations and run the board at near stock like most I saw that seemed to have no issues. OR buy a better motherboard and probably ram since your cpu is not upward multiplier unlocked. .

Ok, Is it ok to have it at 3.0 with x3 of HT link? Is it better or worse than stock?

If you must make do with your present components I would try lowering the HT Link to 4x, change the ram frequency divider to make the ram start at 1066 instead of 1333. I would work on getting the fsb up to 240 which should put the ram back at 1333. I would reduce the CPU multiplier (maybe expressed as a "ratio" in bios) from 14x to 12.5x which would give the CPU a frequency of 3.0 ghz at 240 mhz fsb. You will also need to lower your NB multiplier from 10x to say 8x. Stress test for 20 minutes and monitor temps with HWmonitor open in the background while you stress. Report back with results and with temps for cores and CPU (maybe hidden in one of the TMPINx lines).

If you must make do with your present components I would try lowering the HT Link to 4x, change the ram frequency divider to make the ram start at 1066 instead of 1333. I would work on getting the fsb up to 240 which should put the ram back at 1333. I would reduce the CPU multiplier (maybe expressed as a "ratio" in bios) from 14x to 12.5x which would give the CPU a frequency of 3.0 ghz at 240 mhz fsb. You will also need to lower your NB multiplier from 10x to say 8x. Stress test for 20 minutes and monitor temps with HWmonitor open in the background while you stress. Report back with results and with temps for cores and CPU (maybe hidden in one of the TMPINx lines).

Got it, :salute: I'll try that ASAP and tell if it went right.

[EDIT] Nope, didn't work, I tried all the other options but the fsb and it booted, but when I touch the front bus, It doesn't, I can set it to a maximum of 201 (which is pathetic) it angers me the fact that my mobo has some kind of phobia to the fsb changes.

Also I noticed that when I finish doing changes in the bios and restart the PC, It's like it shuts down and then immediately starts again, only to show me that stupid warning, can that be a PSU problem?

Last edited:
Psu: Qori 500w (generic) Maybe called a Codegen P/S and has these specs >>
+3.3V - 25A/30A, +5V - 25A/30A, +12V1 - 14A,+12V2 - 14A, +5VSB - 2.0A, -12V - 0.8A
Not a power supply I would choose for my rig but I doubt it is stopping, raising the FSB by only one or two digits.

Gigabyte, model "m68mt-s2" = Did a quick search for that mobo right after you first posted and there are n0t many trying to overclock that board judging by the 'hits' in g00gle, but there was one 'hit' that had a user of that mobo that had those same symptoms in that he could n0t seem to raise FSB by even one digit. He had an FX4100 in his cpu socket. He did something and "said" he had the FX4100 up to 4.0Ghz but he 'really' never said what he did.

I may try and find that link in g00gle again, but I remember he did not say what he changed. Maybe something else in the thread will point to what he did. Be well.

Ok I'm getting frightened, my computer now works worse than before :(, when playing games the sounds are delayed, or I hear them multiple times, for example:

This is what I should hear: "Headshot!!"

This is what I hear: "He-he-he-he-he-dsh-dsh-dsh-dsh-ot-ot-ot-ot!!!"

From time to time It freezes for a sec, and then resumes, sometimes I can move the cursor, but there are occasions where I have to restart the PC.
Also these last problems, (the freezes) happen when not playing games, and the PC takes more time when shutting down and initiating.

¿Did I just screwed something? ¿Did I damaged my Processor? ¿the undervoltage can harm it? ¿Is there any way to fix this? please answer :rain:

Try resetting the CMOS. Make sure you power down and unplug the PSU from the wall before moving the jumper and don't power up until you have returned the jumper to default. Of course, you'll have to go into bios after the reset and reenter the time and date. If that doesn't work, try doing a restore in Windows to an earlier date when things were working correctly. Sounds like you may have some corrupted drivers or system files.

Try resetting the CMOS. Make sure you power down and unplug the PSU from the wall before moving the jumper and don't power up until you have returned the jumper to default. Of course, you'll have to go into bios after the reset and reenter the time and date. If that doesn't work, try doing a restore in Windows to an earlier date when things were working correctly. Sounds like you may have some corrupted drivers or system files.

Ok, I've cleared the cmos with a screwdriver, and also I removed the battery for a couple of seconds, and I think (I "think") the pc started faster, just in case I uninstalled my GPU drivers and rebooted, for now I dont have any problems (no intermittent freezes) , soon I will reinstall them to see if anything works fine again. :)

[EDIT] I've managed to get rid of the freezes when playing games, but I cant stop the awful sound effects, they still sounding horrible, its like when I start, everything is okey, but after 15 minutes every stupid sound effect or voice sounds repetitive.

also I couldn't fix the delay on everything, when opening a folder, a program, or even when using "ctrl + alt + supr", I have to wait like 1 minute for it to open or start, its frustrating.

Last edited:
1. You never bothered to capture and attach the captures of CPUz > CPU Tab, Memory Tab and the SPD tab. Also no capture of HWMonitor so we could have seen voltages and temps of the greater system.

2. You can clear the CMOS but 'most' boards have a bios menu choice called Load Optimized Defaults or Load System Defaults or something like that on the first bios page. You need to look in YOUR manual and see how to clear the CMOS and do it. Then boot into bios and find that bios menu for load DEFAULT settings and choose that and save and exit and boot to windows and see if things are better.

3. It comes pretty clear that your parts and pieces are not intended for overclocking.

4. If you have been 'almost' getting into windows during all the 'tries' to overclock, then the operating system may have been corrupted. You may be at the door of a format and RE-isntall of the operating system.

5. You got to know that we cannot see your symptoms from here in the forum. Only things like captures can help us to help you. It takes very good writing with full, specific information to get help from 1000s of miles away.

Back