• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II x6 1055t heatsink in Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oscart

Registered
I just purchased this combo. The CPU fits just perfect, but I am not able to hook the heatsink in the motherboard. Apparently the factory bracket retention is too short to catch both ends, or I am just too noob. Anyone run into this problem?
Should I remove some of the thermal adhesive?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Is this a stock OEM heatsink or an aftermarket one? You usually have to put considerable downward pressure on the clip to make it slide over the retention bracket nubbin. Usually, there is a puckered slot on one end of the retention spring that will allow you to insert a small flat screwdriver tip so as to be able to push down (and a little out) until the retention spring end snaps over the nubbin. Make sure you start by fastening the other end of the retention bracket (the one without the puckered slot) first on the other side. Don't be timid. Nothing will break. Push down and out with considerable force. The retention spring is made to exert considerable downward pressure on the heatsink so there will be good contact between the heatsink and the CPU.

No, don't remove any thermal adhesive.

Mine has a little lever that tightens it up, make sure the lever is in the loose position when installing, then crank it over. That is, if you have the levered version.

Thanks a lot!
I was afraid to press too much and damage the CPU, but it finally clicked!
Now it seems scare to pull the lever. I will do it at some point. I dont want to spoil my 300$!
By the way, any way to make mobo+CPU+PSU+memory+HD work without desktop case? How do I power it on? My case will come much later and i don't have many days to test components and see if they work.
Thanks!

Thanks a lot!
I was afraid to press too much and damage the CPU, but it finally clicked!
Now it seems scare to pull the lever. I will do it at some point. I dont want to spoil my 300$!
By the way, any way to make mobo+CPU+PSU+memory+HD work without desktop case? How do I power it on? My case will come much later and i don't have many days to test components and see if they work.
Thanks!

Set the mobo on it's box and build the computer just like you would in a case. Then open the manual, figure out where you put the power switch lead and what pins it uses, then get a screwdriver and short those two pins together for a second. She should fire right up...most of my computers are not in cases. :thup:

Ok, so should I shortcut only initially to start and then it will work on its own?
Do you mean I don't need to keep a jumper there?

Ok, so should I shortcut only initially to start and then it will work on its own?
Do you mean I don't need to keep a jumper there?

No, you just jump it for a second, it will stay running till you kill the power (switch on PSU) or jump those pins again. Just be careful, don't go jumping on other pins, lol.

Take your time with this...being in a hurry is the number 2 cause of dead stuff. Number one is me. :sn:

Jumping the pins turns the motherboard on. I can say that because the CPU fan starts up. But the screen shows nothing, not even BIOS configuration.
When installing a computer from parts, is there any step I may have skipped?
Help please!

"Memory misplacing" as in not putting them in the correct slots? No, that would effect RAM performance but it wouldn't stop the rig from booting - unless you tried putting a RAM stick in a PCI slot! :p

Check:
CPU (2x2) and Main (12x2) power plugs are attached to the board and solid
video card is seated correctly and video cables are all solid connections (video card power connector, if needed by your card)
RAM is seated correctly in the slot(s) ((You can use just one RAM stick if you want))

- that should be enough to boot the system into BIOS ...

Checked both power plugs : attached and solid.
I did not install any video card, this mobo comes with an integrated graphics AMD Radeon HD 4200 graphics card.
RAM does not sit properly. I bought a 2x1Gb Crucial CT12864BA1399, supposed to be compatible with this mobo, but i dont manage totally make it fit into the banks. Can this prevent BIOS from showing?

I checked Crucial website and this RAM is compatible with this mobo, but when it is time to insert into the bank, i just doesnt come in! I guess I am not supposed to cut any rim in the RAM to make it fit, right?

It's not just a matter of compatibility - ANY DDR3 RAM stick should fit in there.

I hate to sound obvious but have you turned the stick around? There should be a small slot in the RAM stick and a small bump in the RAM slot. Those two should match ...

I checked Crucial website and this RAM is compatible with this mobo, but when it is time to insert into the bank, i just doesnt come in! I guess I am not supposed to cut any rim in the RAM to make it fit, right?

Not sure if this is the problem but the ram is "keyed" with a notch cut in the bottom edge that is off center. In the motherboard ram slot there is a little partition that bridges across the slot. The slot partition must line up with the notch in the bottom edge of the memory module. If it does not, turn the module around.

Also, just like the heatsink retention clip that secures the CPU heatsink to the motherboard, you must push very firmly on the ends memory modules ( or "ram") to get them to seat. Don't press on the heatsink that covers the memory module (not all of them have heatsinks) or you may cause it to disengage from the chips on the ram module. Press instead on the exposed ends of the module. Sometimes it works better to press and engage one end and then the other as opposed to both at the same time. When they are positively engaged, the little plastic "keepers" that pivot on the ends of the ram slots will "snap" into place as they engage with the notched ends of the modules. Again, don't be timid. It's much more difficult than you imagine to break these things. They are pretty tough.

As you see, the border holes just do not match...

Match what? Huh? Listen, I can promise you that the ram slots are made the same by everybody and all DDR3 memory is made compatible with those slots.

Oh, make sure you pivot the plastic keepers back away from the middle of the ram slot before you insert the module. That's the only thing I can think of that you might be mistaking for an "incompatible" design; that would prevent the modules from not fitting into the slot.

Last edited:
Well, my fault! Shame on me! I am more noob that what I could ever imagine.
All my problems were because I didn't push firmly enough to insert thinking I would damage it.
Computer is on and working!
I was thinking about overclocking this 1055t. I think I should read about it before, right? lol
How much oc do you think I will get with stock heat sink?

Back