• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help overclocking Phenom II x6 1100T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
scavenger84, you already know it will not do DDR3-2400 so no sense in taking a chance on corrupting the O/S unless you have an image to quickly recover a major crash. I expect it simply might not boot though rather than crash loading or from within windows.

I agree that if you are now in the 3800Mhz range which was where the majority of those cpus would reach and do well and your cpu temp is banging the 62c thresh-hold, your are likely done without more serious cooling and nothing to be sneezed at from where you were only a little while ago.

Luck man and congrats on bringing it to where you are today.
RGone...

Looking good scavenger, You see that CPU temp(socket) that's where some better airflow through your case will help but you're looking good right there. Made it up to 3.8 good job man!

Looking good scavenger, You see that CPU temp(socket) that's where some better airflow through your case will help but you're looking good right there. Made it up to 3.8 good job man!

Thanx Yeh I thought same as wanna get in some more fans for exhaust and blow onto board

I have the Asus app installed and it did show up a warning about 3.3v at the last minute didn't know what that ment so I took fsb to 211 which is current now

That's quite normal for AISuite. If I were you I would uninstall it, it's pretty buggy like that. I use it but only for benching, helps me get to clocks that the PC won't boot at.

With that motherboard I think a FX6xxx series would suit it best. The 8 core is good to around 4.5 but it's a lot of heat to handle.

I was thinking this one " AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8320 Black Edition 3.50GHz (Socket AM3+) Processor "

but un sure I thought that would be ok but now as uve said 6xxx I'm in two minds now

What's your use for the PC ? Gaming will do better with a six core because of the chance to get a higher overclock but if you run software that needs cores the 8 core is the answer even if it runs a bit slower.

What's your use for the PC ? Gaming will do better with a six core because of the chance to get a higher overclock but if you run software that needs cores the 8 core is the answer even if it runs a bit slower.

I do gaming and a bit of video editing out of both 6 core and eight which is the stronger ?

I do gaming and a bit of video editing out of both 6 core and eight which is the stronger ?

Its not that simple. Clock speed is important, but there are other things to keep in mind. Different CPU's support different ram speeds and have different instruction sets, and power states. There is also a different amount of power needed and heat output for different chips. Choosing the correct one is a matter of what you need from it and what other components you will be pairing it with.

6xxx/gaming because of higher OC potential with that motherboard.
8xxx/ approximately 25-30% more out put for editing because of additional cores but will have a speed reduction compared to the 6xxx

Maybe the best solution is the 8 core, you have the horsepower for video editing and if 2-4 cores disabled you can have the speed for gaming.

Its not that simple. Clock speed is important, but there are other things to keep in mind. Different CPU's support different ram speeds and have different instruction sets, and power states. There is also a different amount of power needed and heat output for different chips. Choosing the correct one is a matter of what you need from it and what other components you will be pairing it with.

well another reason for upgrading chip is current one doesent support my memorys top 2400mhz speed so want to unlock that

6xxx/gaming because of higher OC potential with that motherboard.
8xxx/ approximately 25-30% more out put for editing because of additional cores but will have a speed reduction compared to the 6xxx

Maybe the best solution is the 8 core, you have the horsepower for video editing and if 2-4 cores disabled you can have the speed for gaming.

and if did disable those cores would I get the higher oc then that 6xxx gives

Memory support depends on the board too. You may or may not be able to run 2400 just so you know. You'll have a much better chance with an FX though. As for the top speed, dropping cores drops heat/voltage so 6 cores should allow a higher clock than 8 and 4 higher still. It'll depend on the game itself. When I was using the similar board to that one I had a game that didn't like 8 cores so I ran 4 at nearly 5.0 instead with an AIO cooler.

Back